New Rules

We met at the library like we planned but we still had no leads as to who the final boss was.

I gave them my suggestions but they kindly told me that the people I mentioned weren't really final boss material.

Well, more like Adanya gave me an annoyed look and Dylan just shook his head no.

We left the meeting with no new leads.

The next day, when I walk up to the school, there is something drastically different.

Multiple black, army type vehicles sit in the parking lot.

They're intimidating even when they're just sitting there.

I make my way into the school and a man holding a machine gun greets me.

I've never seen him before.

I see many more men like him just on the way to Biology.

They cast a hostile feeling across the whole school.

I make it to class and am relieved to find Adanya sitting in the back of the room like usual.

But today she seems nervous. Her eyes keep darting left and right. Like she thinks someone's going to snatch her.

I smile encouragingly at her and plop down at my desk.

The intercom blares to life.

"Hello," the principal states in a monotone voice, "as I'm sure you have noticed, there will be some men joining us for the remainder of the year. Please stay out of their way and let them do as they please. Failure to do so will result in harsh punishment. Good day."

A click follows, then everything goes silent.

Then Mr Martin walks in followed by a guard. He points at Adanya.

"She showed up two days ago, but she seems like a pretty good kid. I don't think she would try to harm the principal."

"That will be up to us to decide,' one of the men says and starts to walk down the aisle towards her.

He grabs her arm and starts to drag her to the door. She tries to fight but he's too strong and nothing she does slows him down.

I can't just watch.

When he gets to my desk, I stick my leg out at the last second and he trips over it.

He drops Adanya and his gun. When the latter hits the floor, the gun goes off and a bullet ricochets across the floor and hits the wall.

Everyone goes nuts and starts running around and screaming.

I grab Adanya and we run out of the room as fast as we can.