Chapter Five

Crawling up the narrow hole, which so happened to be our only way in and out of the training ground, I heard various murmurs of males mostly speaking of the current event. Some were a bit irritated at how tricky the course was. Some were quite bewildered at the idea. The voices were fading, as if the owners were walking away from our coordinates. Perhaps they really are going back to the castle walls.

Upon finally seeing the familiar features of a few of the remaining troop members, a loud voice uttered, almost announced, "And we're down to our last pair." Leo, with a raised eyebrow and mocking grin, neared me, "I would like to sincerely congratulate you for returning in one piece."

"The boars are a few nasty add-ons, team leader," Sam spoke from behind. He was just about to get out of the pathway when he reflected Leo's expression.

"Boars, you say?" Leo crossed his arms in a dominating manner. "I warned you all about probable intrusion of wildlife. Furthermore, enemies would not notify you of their assault, would they?" His defined jaw tightened as he continued, "Foremost, I did not ask you of your opinions regarding the matter, trooper."

I remained silent, not wanting to interfere with their heating conversation.

"My mistake, team leader," Sam replied as he straightened up. In a corner of my eyes, however, I saw a glint of defiance in Sam's expression.

"Both of you," he addressed to us, "report to the quarters for kitchen duty. Am I understood?"

"Yes, Sir!" we replied in unison.

He then strolled away with the rest of the team.

Mounted near the dorms was a humongous enclosed hall made up of high ceilings, chiseled walls, glass windows and iron doors which was built solely for feasting. On the edge lies a bountiful servings with mostly protein and fiber. We figured that three long wooden tables were designated specifically for the teams upon dining; we were obliged to sit with our members for orderliness.

Meanwhile, a rectangular quartz table was erected adjacent to our tables. Leo strolled towards it, along with Travis, whom I figured is the second-in-command of our team. Four other males approached the duo; (1) a slightly tanned individual with almost the same features with Leo except from his long fringe bleach hair and dull turquoise blue eyes, (2) a larger framed one with olive skin, pointed nose, blond hair tied into a pony tail and cyan blue eyes, (3) an equally toned being with honey brown eyes, hooked nose and  high bald fade brunette hair and (4) a barely noticed guy with pale complexion, black eyes and long black hair covering half of his face.

We were briefed by each team's vice commanders with regards to the disciplinary actions that should be shown during such gatherings, one of which is not entering nor leaving the halls unless told so. During their tasking, I noticed an odd mixture of ambience among the three men; Travis Underwood, as usual, has been playful yet slick with the way he delivers his message, the brute guy, who named himself Ansel Lyson of the Yellow Team, is straightforward yet warm by the judgment of his tone and the almost-phantom presence, who introduced himself as Zindel Belhus of the Red Team, is overwhelmingly reserved and automated.

It has been revealed that this day was only a pre-assessment of individual skills and team performance through methods which the leaders chose. Starting tomorrow shall be the actual honing of talents and mastery of necessary androitness. The trainees cannot freely walk out of the grounds and return home as they will be put to court in the charge of treason which mostly results to lifetime imprisonment or execution. Moreover, we will be graded accordingly by our superiors; the lowest students were guaranteed to be positioned in the front line, a.k.a. suicidal front, of the war.

Upon ingesting the information, I see hesitant faces from the majority of the audience whether to voice out or not.

For a moment, I thought of understating this kingdom's cruelty among its subjects--it's a do or die, after all.

As the troopers were permitted to dine, Sam and I slipped into the kitchen. It was almost midnight when Sam and I accomplished our task. And as if on cue, Travis appeared out of nowhere as he reminded us to return to the training grounds at 3:00 sharp otherwise we will be facing consequences yet again.

I silently sneaked in the dark hallways of the ladies' dorm, not wanting to wake anyone up, then into our almost freezing room. By hearing my room mate's soft snores, I was rest assured that I can finally lower my guard and sleep.

For a couple of hours, I was engulfed by a deep slumber until I felt a sharp blade pressed against my collarbone. Alerted, my senses came back to life, seeing a picture of a familiar redhead glaring at my direction. She pulled away her knife as she spoke, "You'd be dead by now." I remained quiet, observing her movements. She began to dress herself in her combat attire as she mumbled, "Fifteen minutes until three. And you are not welcome. You owe me one instead." I got up from my bed as I started to change my outfit.

"I appreciate your consideration," I paused, remembering whether she mentioned her name or not.

She seems mindful of my silence as she murmured, "I would rather not hear my name from you, trooper."

"Very well," I replied. "Your blade was recently sharpened excellently, is it not?" I sternly gazed at her.

She, once again, grabbed my hidden suggestive message to not showcase her trick anymore as she smirked, "Demanding now, aren't we?" She then left without further notice.

Arriving just in time, I spotted Travis with a black 15-17 hands powerfully muscled horse outshining distinct features such as thick name and tail and feather on the lower legs--a Friesian.

From the fields, we were guided by each team's tasker to the main stables.

Travis breathe in air before he began, "Your first assignment for the day is to choose your own mount. Make sure that the mammal of your liking will stand its grounds with you for the rest of your training period as you are expected to train them and be trained with them. After I give you my signal, I will be departing towards Point B so you are advised to move with haste. Then again, punishment awaits for the members who will not be able to catch up." I squeezed into the front of the crowd, noticing that the resources are limited. "On my mark, troopers!" All stanced for a run. He yelled, "Go!"

The whole team dashed towards the wide stables. Beforehand, I already skimmed the breeds of the horses available and only one got my attention; a chestnut with powerful hind quarters, short back, well-muscled loin, seemingly strong bone, well-arched neck, straight profile, wide jaw and good width between its eyes.

I immediately jumped on its back.

(A/N: Author knows very little about horses and nothing about horseback riding.)

Almost instantly, it violently neighed as it galloped towards Travis's direction. Realizing my situation, I tightened my grip as I leaned forward, my other hand gently caressing its silky outer covering, "Easy there, Warrior."

It seemed to comprehend me, letting me hear the slightly slowed rhythm of his hooves against the rocky ground.

The cool breeze blowing opposite my direction made me at ease. My sight lingered on the quite dark surroundings engulfing the wide path ahead of us and the tall trees on both our sides. To think that we are on a full-paced run somewhere even before sunrise, we might probably be travelling on a very long way to Point B.

As the time pass by, my eyelids become heavier.