― x. evil sleeps in crimson

𝓔𝐯𝐢𝐥 𝓢𝐥𝐞𝐞𝐩𝐬 𝐢𝐧 𝓒𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐬𝐨𝐧

The winter holidays flew by in a blur of snow. Soon, it was the eve of their return to Hogwarts. Edelyn laid on Ron's bed, absentmindedly tossing the quaffle the Diggories got her for Christmas into the air as Ginny watched Harry and Ron play a game of chess.

"It's getting ridiculous, Lyn," Ron stated as he moved his bishop. "You two can't avoid each other forever."

"For the millionth time, Ron," Edelyn huffed, " it's not me who's doing the avoiding. I've tried to approach him, but every bloody time, he just walks away. I mean honestly, it was just a kiss. I really don't understand why he's making such a big fuss about it."

"Maybe that's cause it wasn't just a kiss," Ginny suggested. "Maybe he actually fancies you."

Edelyn snorted. "That's absurd. It's Fred. Of course, he doesn't fancy me."

Ginny shrugged. "Good thing we're going back to school tomorrow, then. You'll have space to actually mull things over, you know?"

Edelyn made no reply. If Fred was already this good at avoiding her while they were in the same house, she was sure that he was simply going to become a stranger once they were back at Hogwarts. She sighed and cursed the perils of liquor. "I'm going to go downstairs for a spot of tea. Anyone want anything?"

When Edelyn entered the basement kitchen, she was surprised to find Sirius sitting at the long table, a letter laid open in front of him. She smiled at him, but his face remained grim. Stepping further in, she came to the horrid realization that Sirius wasn't the only one in the kitchen.

"What are you doing here?" Severus Snape demanded briskly.

"I—"

"Don't you dare take that tone with my daughter," Sirius growled, eyes narrowed. "In case you've forgotten, you're standing in our house, where we can be anywhere we please, and do whatever we please." He turned to Edelyn, expression softening, and gestured for her to take a seat beside him. "Tea?" he inquired, voice much lighter than before.

"Yeah, I was just..." Her gaze drifted back to Snape and she shifted uneasily.

"Here," Sirius said, sliding his own cup towards her. It was still steaming hot. "You can have mine."

"I am supposed to see Potter alone," Snape said in a low hiss.

Edelyn felt the tension rise. "I can leave," she offered, but just as she made to stand, Sirius yanked her back down. He stared darkly at Snape as if he was trying to make some point. "Ignore him. You have every right to stay."

"But it's really not a problem," Edelyn said. In fact, I insist! She thought wryly, then glanced up to see Harry entering the kitchen, wearing the same frown of bemusement on his face as was plastered on hers.