Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Joey's POV:

"MOM." I yell down the stairs because I am way too lazy to actually walk down them. "WHAT JOEY?" she yells back. "CAN YOU COME UP HERE?"...we yell a lot. "Sure one second!" she says as I wait for her to come up the stairs. "Okay, what is it?" "I took what you said seriously and I wanted to know how you would feel about me being in a band? Before you go crazy, just listen to what I have to say. You know I have always had a love for music. I can play the guitar, piano and basically anything you put into my hands. You also know that I can sing. I believe I have all the things needed to be in a band." I start to explain. She just nods for me to go on. "I was looking around town for job openings and different things that I might take an interest in when I saw the flyer for a new opening for a band named Anthem Lights. I looked them up and they are a very successful band. They have their own christian album and a few albums of covers of songs. They have also gone on an across country tour. One of their members, I believe his name is Kyle, is leaving the band to go solo so they have an open spot. The first thing I have to do is call to set up a meeting with the other three band members. I have to show them what instruments I can play and how well I can sing. I just wanted to get your permission first and see what you thought about it because I value your opinion. Plus, your constant nagging is what got me this opportunity." I give her a little cheeky smile when I say that to let her know I appreciated her nagging this time."If this is really what you want to do, I am completely okay with this and am here to back you up." "Really?" I am actually quite shocked. She is perfectly okay with this. "Like I said if this is what you want to and think you will be successful with it, I don't see a problem with it." "Thank you so much mom. You are the best mom ever but I still have to meet with them first." "I believe in you Joey!" I hear her yell to me as I am walking out the door. The drive to the coffee shop where we had planned to meet before the meeting was absolutely nerve racking. I am so nervous... what if I mess up or completely blow it? Stop Joey, you have this. Get it together. Here we go.

*Coffee Shop*
As I walk in I spot the three guys, Caleb, Alan and Chad. They look pretty friendly and glad to see me. This probably won't be so bad! They all stand up to shake my hand. "Hey Joey it is very nice to meet you, I'm Alan," a taller man with blackish hair greets me. "I'm Chad," he says as he shakes my hand with an unusually strong grip. He was pretty tall himself with dirty blonde hair. "And I am Caleb, nice to meet you," a guy my height, finally someone short like me, greets me and we all sit down. "We just ordered you a normal cup of coffee. I hope that is fine." Alan says. "Yea that's perfectly fine, thanks!" I say as I put sugar and creamer in my coffee. "So obviously we are here because you are interested in being in the band, but first how about we get to know you." Caleb says. "Okay sure. Well my name is Joseph Stamper, but most people call me Joe or Joey. I just graduated college and my mom has been pushing me to find a job and get out of her house. And I thought what is a more perfect job than being part of a band so here I am." "You have some good reasoning Joey Stamper. I am Alan Powell and I am married with two kids and just enjoying life." "I am Chad Graham and I have just recently gotten married and am looking forward to a fresh start with the band." "And I am Caleb Grimm. I am recently engaged and can't wait to be married like the rest of the guys!" Wow, I really need to start looking for a girl of my own. "It is very nice to meet all of you and hopefully I will get to know you a whole lot better." I say meaning every word. They all seem like very friendly, funny, godly men and I would love to be in a band with them. It would be cool to have three new best friends. "Well how about we go to the studio and see what you can do Joey." Alan says and I have been waiting for those words. Yes, I am nervous, but I am also ready to see what they think of me. "Okay, lets go." I say.

*At the studio*
"So this is where we record most of our music." Caleb explains the different rooms as we walk down the hallway. It is all so expensive looking and intimidating. "And here is where we are going." He says as we walk in a more comfortable, welcoming studio. "You said you can play the piano and guitar right?" "Yea, I love both!" I say. "Alright we are going to get you to play the guitar first and then the piano." I sit down with the guitar and play 'Wanted' by Hunter Hayes. I have practiced this song so much and have gotten really good at it. When I was done, they seemed pretty impressed. "I would say that was pretty impressive Joey." Alan says. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. "Thank you" I say. "Your welcome and now lets see what you can do on the piano." I sit down on the piano bench and start to play 'Say Something' by A Great Big World. I finished the song and by the looks on their faces I blew them away with my piano skills. "That was really good Joey!" Chad says and I feel really happy at this point. "So you are a great guitar and piano player, lets hear how good you can sing." "Anything specific you would like me to sing?" I ask. "Um do you know our song 'Can't Get Over You'?" "Sure do" "Well then sing that." I start to sing and they stop me after the first chorus. I start to get really nervous and anxious about what they are going to say. "I think we all know what each other is thinking." Alan says. He pauses and then Caleb continues, "You're in!" "Really?!" I ask kind of shocked and overly excited. "Yes! Meet us here Tuesday morning 8 o'clock sharp. Be ready to learn some new songs Joey Stamper and congratulations!" I say one more thank you before going to tell my mom the very exciting news.