two

mila +

"good morning, mr. mclaughlin." i greeted, walking into his office.

i bring him his coffee and a bagel. oh how i wanted to dump that scorching hot beverage on his face.

"good morning maya. thank you for the coffee. did you leave your attitude at home today?" he raised an eyebrow.

that still isn't my name. i mentally roll my eyes. he's probably doing this on purpose just to piss me off and let me tell ya, it's working. 

"i don't know for sure sir." i answer.

he purses his lips into a thin line and there's a hint of scowl on his face. he tries to ignore me and proceeds to type on his apple laptop. he takes a sip of his coffee and this time he doesn't complain about it.

a couple of minutes pass by and there was a knock at the door. we both look over at the door and then to each other, confusion plastered on our faces. i stand up and pat down my skirt and head to the door. i open the door to reveal a smiling finn. 

"i came to ask you something." he tells me. 

"she's busy." mr. mclaughlin's harsh voice says to him and i roll my eyes, for real this time.

"of course i'm not. i just got here and i wasn't doing anything. what do you need? i ask with a smile on my face.

"want to get lunch with me during break?"

"she can't. she needs to attend a meeting with me this afternoon." caleb interrupts again.

"since when?"

"maybe tomorrow then?" finn asks, hopeful.

"or we could get dinner or something like that." i suggest, giving him the biggest grin even though i know caleb is glaring at me.

"yeah, that sounds really nice. well, i guess i'll see you around then." he says before walking off. 

i compose myself before i turn to face caleb. a wimpy smile is on my flushed face and i want to jump up and down like a crazy 13 year old. 

"sorry sir, i didn't know that he was coming to see me." i apologize yet i don't know why i am the one apologizing. 

he pushes his coffee and stack of papers away from him. "i thought i told you that there was no flirting to be happening in my building."

"i'm sorry, mr. mclaughlin." i mumble. "and what meeting am i attending this afternoon? and why was i not aware of it?" 

"i just decided it today if you must know. it's going to be with some people that flew down from france." he says, as he clicks his pen repeatedly. 

the pen makes a noise that is annoying the living shit out of me. i want to go up to him and throw his pen against the wall, just to get him to stop, but i don't. instead, i just gaze out of the clean window where i see other large buildings and traffic. 

"have you eaten breakfast yet?" caleb asks me and i shake my head no. 

"i didn't have enough time. i woke up late and kind of rushed my way here." i let out an awkward laugh.

"you look good." he tells me.

i can feel my cheeks turn a bright red. "thank you, sir."

he keeps his gaze on me for a little while longer before letting out an awkward cough and returning his eyes back to his computer screen.

"so, you don't have a boyfriend or significant other, i presume?" he says out of nowhere, taking me by surprise. 

"well obviously not or i wouldn't have accepted that dinner date from finn." i say, sounding more rude than i intended to be. 

"hey, what did i tell you about that attitude?" he snaps.

"maybe don't ask dumb questions then." i tell him.

"that's strike two maya." 

"it's mila god damnit!" i yell as i slam my palm against the clean glass of his desk. 

he immediately stands up from his chair, towering over me. he bends down so he can be face to face with me and he clenches his jaw. his face is a mere inch away from mine. i can even smell his breath, which still smells like mint even after his few sips of coffee.

"you will not talk to me like that." he says just above a whisper. "that's strike three."

i sit down in a chair that is right behind me and sit in an unladylike manner, crossing my arms over my chest. i really did not care anymore. i know that he is my boss and can technically "boss" me around, but i would literally rather work for anyone else.

"okay. then go ahead and fire me." i say with a blunt tone.

he puts one hand on his hip and the other on his temples. he breathes hard through his nose and i can tell he is pissed. "i'm not going to fire you. i just want to lay down the rules on how to act when you're with me. 

exactly. he needs me. i knew he wouldn't fire me because he knows just as damn well as i do that no one wants to be his assistant.

"can you go to the vending machine and get me a granola bar?" caleb asks, digging into his thick wallet and fishing out two dollars. he hands them to me. 

"sure." i flash him a fake smile.

"did you want anything?" he asks, pulling out two more dollars.

"no, i will be just fine." i mumble.

i get up and smooth out my skirt once again. i walk out of his room wanting to jump off of the building. why is he like this. also, i am 100% sure that he is bipolar. 

i get to the vending machine and look at the two dollars that he handed me. wait, why is he paying to get a granola bar from the vending machine when he owns this building? i insert the two dollars and enter the code. i watched as the little springs pushed the granola bar off the column and down into the slot. i think about the fight that caleb and i just had and i suddenly lose my appetite.

i get the to his office and set the granola bar down on his desk in front of him. he doesn't say thank you, but his facial expression softened. he looked at me and then flickered his eyes back down to the screen. 

"you have to eat. go, i insist. we have a meeting and you're going to be starving." he says, getting his wallet back out of his pocket and handing it to me. 

"i'm fine, mr. mclaughlin." i slightly chuckle. "i'm a big girl, i don't need you to worry about me."

"as if." he mutters, thinking that i wouldn't hear him, but i did.

oh, i heard him loud and clear. if he can't respect me, then why should i respect him? just because he is my boss? i'm his assistant! he would be miserable if it wasn't for me. i basically do his walking for him! whether he admits it or not, he needs me. he should just be grateful to have me around.

{vote, comment, share}