Chapter Six

Day 655

It was hard to avoid him, Jack that is.

He wasn't letting me decline his friendship without giving him a legitimate reason as to why not.

Personally, just from the way he was acting was enough reason as to why I NEEDED to decline. He was feeling too much, and feeling gets you killed.

I kept him at bay for the last two days, but how much longer could I avoid him? How much longer could I ignore the dirty looks he'd send me?

That's why as I walked down the stairs to the ground level of the building I looked at everyone but him. I tried not to notice his icy blue eyes burning a hole in my back.

"I'm going to do a quick perimeter check around the city, I need another person to come with me. Any volunteers?" I ask to the three people sitting in front of me, ignoring Jack.

"Me. I'll do it." says the boy instantaneously.

He walks to the corner and picks up his baseball bat. Of course you'd want to.

I act as if no one had spoken. "Anybody?" I say looking at the adults questioningly.

Andrew meets eyes with mine and says, "Jack just volunteered." I grimace. I know he did, but I don't want him!

I sigh in defeat and turn to the tall boy. "Fine, let's go. Quickly."

I'd go alone, but it's too dangerous.

We take off, and thankfully Jack doesn't speak. We just walk in silence killing zombies one at a time.

After clearing a quarter of the wall Jack takes on two corpses with his bat. He smashes their brains in with single swings, and even I can't resist giving him praise.

"Nice." I exclaim. Shit. Don't speak to me. Don't speak to me.

He walks back to me with a surprised look on his face and smiles.

"Having an actual steady diet is bringing back my muscle." He says happily. Now he's walking with me side-by-side. Please don't bring up the friend-thing. Please.

I look up at Jack, him being a full three inches taller than me and still growing. His face is darkened with serious thought. Here it comes...

"Amy, stop walking. We need to talk." He says in a low voice. I shake my head.

"About what?" I say trying to sound innocent.

"About what!? You're kidding right?" He responds with wide eyes. I look at him with a clueless expression and shrug my shoulders.

He exhales sharply through his mouth and continues to speak.

"About what happened in the medical supply room: me, you, being friends...ring any bells?" He asks pulling me by the shoulders to look at him.

I cross my arms over my chest and return to my serious face. He's attracting corpses.

"What is there to talk about? I don't want to be your friend." I say through my teeth.

"Why not?" He says with raised eyebrows. His voice is getting higher and a corpse comes behind him.

I don't say anything waiting for him to notice it. He doesn't, leaving me to throw a knife at its head for him.

"That's why. Enough said." I reply turning away to walk down the city's perimeter.

"Bullshit." He retorts causing me to turn back around and stare him in the eyes.

"Excuse me?"

"Bullshit, Amy Everett. I'm calling bullshit on you. You know I get that you're so much cooler than us, and you're so much better at surviving, but it's so irritating that you think that little of us!" He's practically yelling now.