Chapter Three

Day 643

"I'm sorry, what'd you just say?" asked my Dad hiding no ounce of his shock.

She looked at my Dad skeptically with her deep blue eyes that seemed to darken with anger.

"I'm Everett." She restated. This time sounding a bit colder. If that was even possible.

"Wow." My Dad let out. "You are amazing. So tough and so young too." He exclaimed like a proud parent. I blushed in embarrassment on the behalf of my Dad.

Everett scoffed obviously not having any of this. Already she was feeling like she was being underestimated because she was a kid, and you could tell she did not like that. I guess I could relate to that feeling.

"Are we done here?" She said irritated. She didn't even wait for an answer, she just turned on her heels and walked away. My Dad practically jumped for her putting a hand on her shoulder as he yelled, "Wait! Everett wai-"

As soon as he made contact with her she turned around and pulled out her knife in one swift motion pressing it to his neck. My Dad stopped instantaneously.

"Don't. Touch. Me." She said. "Got it?"

My Dad visibly gulped and murmured, "Um, Everett we need your help."

She pulled away from my Dad and took three steps back crossing her arms against her chest.

"How exactly can I help you?" She said with her eyes on me.

Why are you looking at me?

My Dad's the one talking to you.

Stop staring. Staring is rude.

Wait...aren't I staring at her staring at me?

Dang it, I'm the rude one.

Quickly I took my gaze away from her as my Dad tried to explain the situation.

"Um, we heard you have a home here...that'd be ideal for a group of our size. We heard you'd take us in." said my Dad with a shaky voice. Usually my Dad was a brave leader, but this girl gave him the creeps.

Everett smiled and let out a giggle. She then opened her mouth to speak.

"Whoever told you that is sorely mistaken. I don't take people in." She said nonchalantly as if there weren't lives at stake here.

"But Miss, we have a kid with us." My Dad said. My cheeks flushed from embarrassment again and Everett bust out laughing at my Dad's reasoning.

"A kid?" She scoffed. She made her way over to me standing right in front of my face where as I could barely see hers being that it was covered with a scarf.

"You don't like being called 'kid' do you?" She asked with her eyes never leaving mine. I held onto the stare being that there was nothing else of her to look at; practically every inch of her was dressed heavily. I then opened my mouth to speak.

"Only half as much as you do." I answered. She smirked at my response.

"I'm sorry, Andrew, but I don't take people in. I live alone." She restated.

My Dad raised his voice slightly saying, "But we came all this way for you! Roy told us you'd take us in." Suddenly Everett's eyes widened at the mention of that name.

"Roy sent you?" She asked sounding shocked.

"Um yeah. He said you owed him a favor." explained my Dad. Everett shook her head and cursed under her breath.