Broken Promise

“We’ve made arrangements for you to be taken home immediately.” You looked up when Charles entered the room.

“We’re not going home.” Raven retorted and you shrunk into your seat more when you heard the animosity in her voice.

“What?” Charles asked in confusion.

Sean stepped up, “he’s not going back to prison.” He elaborated as he pointed at Alex.

“They killed Darwin.” Alex muttered. You looked at him, he didn’t seem to be visibly choking up, but you knew inside the guilt was killing him. It was his power that killed Darwin, even if it was indirectly.

“All the more reason for you to leave.” Charles agreed, “this is over.”

Raven stood up, “Darwin’s dead, Charles.” Her voice breaking on the verge of tears was about to make you cry. You were doing a good job of holding back your tears, but everyone else being on the verge of breaking was making it extremely hard. “And we can’t even bury him.” She continued

“We can avenge him.” Erik stated.

“They’re just kids.” Charles protested. You frowned, no you weren’t. Most of you were easily in your twenties.

“No, they were kids.” Erik shook his head, “Shaw has his army. We need ours.”

You peered into his emotions and saw nothing but revenge. He was just roping your group into his own plans. “No.” You stood up and glared at Erik.

“What?” he looked at you confused.

“We’re not pawns that you can use.” You spat as you stood up in his face.

“(Y/n), please, now is not the time.” Charles sighed.

“No!” you turned to Charles, “you know it too. This guy,” you pointed at Erik, “just wants revenge on Shaw, and he won’t stop until he gets it. Unlike what you believe,” you glared at Charles, “he doesn’t have an ounce of good in him.” You crossed your arms defiantly and mentally dared someone to fight you.

There was a pause, and then Charles shook his head, “I’m not siding with you on this (y/n).”

You gaped at him. It was painfully obvious that Erik wouldn’t listen to Charles, that the two were against each other. You looked at the others who seemed to avoid your gaze, “fine, I can see I’m alone in this.” You gave Erik an icy glare which he returned, ‘this isn’t over’. You mentally snarled. With a humph you dropped back down onto the couch that you were previously sitting in.

“We’ll have to train. All of us. Yes?” Charles continued as if you had never said anything.

“Yeah.” Alex agreed.

“We can’t stay here.” Hank protested, “even if they re-opened the department, it’s not safe. We’ve got nowhere to go.”

“Yes, we do.” Charles responded.

There was a pause of silence and you suddenly realized what Charles was referring to, “aww heck no!” you shouted, “you’re letting him into our home?” you demanded and pointed furiously at Erik.

‘I think it’s time that you go to sleep.’ You heard Charles’ voice in your head.

‘No! You promised you wouldn't!’ you fought him in your mind but the battle was over before it had begun, as your mind faded to black and you collapsed into someone’s arms.