Chapter 21

The apple fell from my mouth and I ran up to the restroom door to jiggle the knob, only to find it was locked.

"Luke! Open the door!" I yelled, banging against it with my fist. I could hear the sound of him emptying his stomach, but he didn't seem to be responding to me. "Please, Luke! Let me in!"

Michael appeared beside me. "What's going on? What's wrong with Luke?"

"Mikey! Help me open this door! Please, Luke needs me! He needs me!"

"Calm down, Ash!" Michael grabbed my shoulders and made me turn to him. I made attempts to form sentences, but I was too busy taking in sharp breaths. "You need to tell me what's going on! What's Luke doing in there?!"

As if on cue Luke started coughing, and I was starting to freak out again.

"Luke!" I pulled myself from Michael and was back to pounding the door. "Open the door!"

"I'll go find something. Does this door have some kind of key to open it?" I remembered it did, but only God knows where the hell that is now. "I think a card should do. The space between the door and the wall doesn't look too close. How does the door lock?"

"It's like a button. You press it and it locks," I told Michael. He nodded and then ran off. I'm pacing around in front of the door, trying to think of other ways to get into there. I could always kick down the door. But if my mom saw that I'd be in serious trouble. Besides, I'm already doing things that she doesn't want me doing behind her back, like leaving the house while my siblings are still at home and inviting friends over.

Yeah, my mom doesn't really like my friends. Especially Harry. She's met him before, and she thinks he's a bad influence, yet I still invite him over.

Ugh, I'm getting offtrack here. Right now Luke's throwing up and I'm not there for him!

Mikey appeared with a paper clip and I immediately began straightening it out so I could unlock the door through the circular keyhole. Then I bursted the door open, shouting Luke's name. But my face twisted in confusion when I saw what was before me.

"Mom?" I asked. She was facing the mirror and was wearing a robe. She had headphones over her ears, the music audible from where I was standing. She must've saw me through the mirror, because she turned around.

"Good morning, dear," my mom greeted in a hoarse voice as she rested her headphones around her neck. "Did you need something?"

"Uh... I heard retching and coughing. Are you okay?"

She shook her head and then pointed to her neck. "Strep throat." I noticed Michael mutter 'ew' before taking a step back.

"Why are you using this restroom? Don't you have the one in your bedroom? Actually, don't answer that. You need to rest your voice. Drink lots of fluids, take some medication, and stay in bed. I'm going out to Liam's house later, okay?" My mom gave me a nod. "Get better, Mom." Then I began making my way to my room.

I almost had a heart attack. I'm really relieved that it wasn't Luke who was in there, but I do hope my mom gets better.

"Hey, Mama Irwin!" Michael exclaimed before catching up to me. When I walked inside I saw Luke lying on my bed, talking on his phone. You've no idea how happy I am to see him in my room rather than in the restroom throwing up into the toilet.

Luke glanced over at me, and I gave him a huge smile. He smiled back before sitting upright. "I'll call you later. Bye, Cal." Then he hung up. I don't know what came over me, but when he stood up I ran over to him and wrapped my arms around his body. "Whoa, what's gotten into you?"