5 Sara

"Just stack them behind the couch." Sara waved her hand in that direction.

"You women sure like online shopping, don't you?" The delivery man asked her while chuckling.

Sara raised an eyebrow in reply, holding the door open for him, and said nothing causing the man to clear his throat.

With a sheepish laugh, he walked towards the spot she indicated and left the package. "Right, I'll just stack everything over here."

Using a trolley, he came into the house with box after box, all marked on the side with the same logo, and stacked them where she indicated. After doing the math, Sara found it would cost almost the same amount to ship all of her old things and decided to just buy everything new. It was refreshing to sell what she had, there would be no bad memories attached to the new items. Anyhow, the last time she shipped a bunch of glassware, it was all broken by the time it reached her.

After letting Chico back into the house, Sara unboxed the new television first. It would be nice to watch TV while she opened the rest. She placed it on the stand that had come with the living room set she picked out from the furniture store, connecting the cable box that waited on the doorstep for her when she arrived.

One of the first things she had done the night before, after putting away all the groceries and cooking dinner, had been to set up her computer and rejoin the digital world. She looked towards her office with a longing gaze, thinking she would rather play video games, but continued putting the new things she ordered away. Opening new packages was always fun, she would just pretend it was Christmas.

Flicking the television on, she entered her log-in information to connect it to her home internet and started up one of her favorite streaming services. She found a suitable background show, an animated one about four kids in a small mountain town she watched often and set to unpacking the parcels one by one.

The first box contained the new sheets she purchased for the king size bed in the master bedroom. She looked forward to sprawling out in the new bed and knew she would be exhausted by the end of the day.

Going into the utility room to wash the sheets before using them, she paused outside the door to the basement. Eyeing it, a creeping sensation rolled down her spine, before she moved towards the washing machine. She was glad she'd installed that bolt lock before she moved in and tried not to think about the door or what was wrong with it. There wasn't anything in the basement, you could see through the windows into the unfinished space, but something primal still warned her to keep away from it. She hoped she wouldn't regret buying this house.