Chapter Twelve: Entangled

Começar do início

Mineko didn't know how this weapon worked, but she knew that getting hit by it again was not ideal. As fast as she possibly could, Mineko made a break for the assassin and snatched his right arm before he could set the weapon on her again.

The assassin wrestled with Mineko, knowing that she was trying to break his arm. He tried to bring the barrel of his gun up to her face, but the pair were evenly matched. However, Mineko drove her knee into the man's gut, and this gave her the opening she needed. She twisted the man's arm around and pushed her palm against his elbow with strength made more intense by controlled wind pressure. There was a loud crack as his arm broke in the opposite direction.

He grunted in pain, and his weapon tumbled out of his grasp and dropped onto the ground. Mineko trapped it beneath her left shoe and kicked it to the other end of the room, as far away from him as she could manage in such a position.

"Who are you?!" She hissed, putting pressure on his damaged arm so that the bone was visibly sticking out beneath his costume. "Who sent you? Tell me, and I'll consider sparing your life."

The man said nothing. He simply flicked his left hand out...and another one of his weapons appeared inside it. Mineko could only manage one swift motion before it went off; she snapped out with a slap to bat the weapon away from her body.

Another bang sounded and a sharp pain gripped her thigh. Blood splattered onto the wooden panel flooring, and Mineko grimaced in pain.

She reeled backwards then lashed forward with a burst of air pressure. The assassin was propelled towards the window, and before he had time to recover, Mineko sprinted at him with her teeth gritted.

The man's masked face rose just in time to see Mineko throw herself into him. Barry's window shattered into shrapnel as the two people came hurtling to the ground in a dark and damp alleyway. There was a loud 'oof', primarily from the intruder that had landed beneath Mineko and softened her own fall.

The dazed and injured woman used this to her advantage and cracked a loud punch against his jaw. It seemed as if he was barely keeping conscious when she finally ripped the mask off him.

As expected, she didn't recognise him at all. She could attribute that to the loss of blood, but she only knew very few people in this odd future. His hair was as dark as the mask he had previously worn, and his skin was only slightly lighter than that. Upon first glance, he looked like any other person she'd see down the streets of Central city, it was only when she squinted more intently that she noticed his eyes. They were completely milky, blank and empty like that of a week old corpse.

Mineko instantly knew what this entailed. He was under the influence of Yan, the leader of the Uesugi clan. Her power of manipulation and control was known throughout Mineko's monastery, it left the victim unaware of their own actions. Only a moving, breathing tool for her to use for her own gain.

The plan had been to kill this intruder; a good, clean and honourable death. This was no longer a viable solution. He was being controlled, and so was no longer accountable for his actions.

The alleyway was just starting to fade into a giant blur in her mind, turning so quickly that dizziness was the least of her concerns. The man beneath her attempted to push her away, but he was feeling just as weak as Mineko was. The moment his hands shoved her shoulders, Mineko struck another hard blow against the man's temple and knocked him out cold.

"Hey, isn't that Mineko?" Wally's familiar voice said from the entrance to the alley.

She only barely managed to stay awake long enough to glance up. Barry's eyes met hers then wandered to the blood seeping through her clothes. The soda in his hand dropped to the ground and splattered against the gravel. Wally, on the other hand, continued to sip loudly from his drink.

The last thing Mineko heard before passing out in a pool of her own blood was Wally, speaking a little too calmly for the situation at hand. "Oh, shit. You gonna help her, Barry?"

—————————————