Part 6

Chapter 6.

. I was woken up by 78 missed calls. 14from Niall, 11 from Louis, 12 from Zayn, 17 from Harry, and freaking 24 from Josh!

Josh was the last missed call in my call log so I quickly hit the call button to call him back. I could barely understand him through his sobs 

“s ss-something has h-happened to Liam.” My heart dropped… “Apparently there is something wrong with his kidney."

“No! No, no, no!!! I knew something was wrong with him that night he took me home and I didn’t say anything. This could have been avoided if I would have just said something to one of the boys!” I sobbed.

“Elizabeth, this isn’t your fault! And the doctor said he is going to recover just fine, but you have to get down here right now.”

“Of course” I said hanging up the phone.

“Girls! Wake up!”

“W-what’s going on?” Cass moaned.

“Liam is in the hospital! We’re leaving right now; he needs us.” We were all packed and out the door within 15 minutes. I shoved two pieces of gum in my mouth and ran my fingers through my hair since I hadn’t even had time to get ready. Halfway down our street I realized I had no idea where I was going. Luckily the boys were in Vegas this weekend so it wouldn’t be that far to travel. Still I needed to know how I was getting there and where exactly to go. I had Kelsi call Josh to figure things out it was a quick conversation so I figured the boys had already gotten everything figured out for us.

“There is a plane that will take us to Vegas at the Fresno airport but we have to hurry, it leaves in 45 minutes”

“Alright and where do we go after that?”

“Josh said Paul would pick us up from the airport at 6:20 when we land.” We got to the airport just in time to get on the plain. Okay, I can handle this, were only about an hour away from Liam now. He is going to be okay. Josh said the doctor expected him to be fine… Everything is going to be okay.

.......................................

We arrived at the hospital just a little over an hour later, and as much as I wanted to go see Liam I couldn’t even take a step towards his hospital room. My feet just wouldn’t move.  It was like this giant pang of guilt was hovering over me, because I knew something was wrong with him and I had never spoken up about it. This all could have been avoided if I would have just said something. I could see in the room though; all the boys were sitting around his hospital bed. Everyone was silent and looked very solemn.

As soon as Harry saw me he rushed out of the hospital room to where I was. I knew Harry well enough to know his facial expressions… Josh hadn’t told me the whole story. Something was seriously wrong with Liam. He wrapped his arms around me and I simply collapsed into loud thick sobs in his arms, I couldn’t even find the will to stand up anymore. As soon as the boys heard me sobbing they slowly began to gather around me and Harry. I don’t know why but for some reason I just wanted Louis. Reaching out for him, he took me in his arms and slowly smoothed his hand over my hair.

“There, there” he whispered, “We will all figure this out together; the doctors are doing everything they can for him.”

Hearing those haunting words I know oh so well, “the doctors are doing everything they can for him”, completely through me into a frenzy. I knew only Kelsi would be able to understand why hearing that bothered me so much and I would only be causing the boys a lot of worry, but I couldn’t help it. At that moment something in me snapped again; I completely lost it and buried my head far into Louis’ shoulder sobbing, screaming, and punching his chest. I finally collapsed into a heap on the floor moaning loudly through my sobs. The boys did the only thing they could; they picked me up and carried me into Liam’s room to see him. Through my swollen tear filled eyes, I sat and stared at my best friend in the entire world. Liam was the person I came to for everything he was exactly like me and I could talk to him about nothing for hours; He was like my big brother. It was almost unbearable but I knew I had some explaining to give to the boys after my previous fit of hysteria. I had to tell them what I had sworn I would never talk about again in my lifetime. I had to talk about my past.

As I began to explain myself to the boys I could see the worry in Kelsi’s eyes; I gave her a reassuring look. I had to do this, these boys are my entire world and they deserve to know about my family.

“You see when I was very young my mother became extremely ill. She was hospital ridden for months; as her last days approached the nurses kept telling me ‘the doctors are doing everything they can’. As a young girl that sounded very promising to me, but just a week after the first time I remember being told that, my mother past away.” Silence fell over the room as I took in a long deep breath. “Then when I was 15 and a half my brother and I were in a car accident on our way back from a football game. I made out with a broken leg and a few bruise ribs. But my brother had thrown himself across me to protect me from the truck. He was hooked up to machines and for a while it seemed like he had a fighting chance, and then the nurses began to tell me ‘the doctors are doing everything they can’. A week later my older brother was dead.” I could see the tears start well up in Harry and Niall’s eyes while Zayn, Louis, and Josh just sat with their heads down. “And finally, two years ago while my dad was working at the casino things went south with a couple of gamblers and my father had to escort them out. As he did so they became enraged and began beating him. It was two against one and although my dad was a tough man he didn’t stand a chance. They took his wallet and left him lying there unconscious. He was taken to the hospital and as soon as I arrived the nurse assured me ‘the doctors are doing everything they can for him’. My father died from internal bleeding 5 hours later.” I could hear the small sobs escaping Kelsi’s lips.

She was with me through all of those traumatic times and was also very close with my family so I knew it was hard for her to almost relive all the pain those events brought with them. No one spoke and I knew I had to say it, I couldn’t hold it in any longer. “From every experience I’ve ever had Liam’s chances of surviving don't seem too great.” I let out a few loud sobs and whined a little through my tears. I was startled by the sound of Liam’s voice; I had no idea he was awake.

“So basically I’m going to die…”