Chapter 2 ~ Trap

Jack was flaming with anger, as the note, he had realised, was a trap. He attempted to storm out of the room, but Hugh grabbed him by the arm, not allowing him to pass. "What'd the bugger want for her?" Bert asked, speaking up. Jack frowned, surely they already knew. "Haven't you all read the note?" Everybody simply shook their heads, except for Dot, who simply looked guiltily at the floor. "I, um, wouldn't let anyone read it, Sir. Everyone was extremely shocked from knowing that Miss Fisher had been taken."

"Well?" Cec asked, impatiently. "They're only asking for money, and not much of it either." Jack replied, in a bored tone "But that doesn't make any sense." Mr. Butler said, eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Exactly, because it's not really money they want. She's just bait, to catch the rest of us too." Nobody seemed to understand what Jack was trying to say, so he continued. "We get the money, go to the place, put it down where they want it and just as we leave they take us too, and kill us all. They can't kill Miss Fisher until they catch us, because then we'd have no reason to pay the ransom and thus no reason to go there." Bert slumped back in his seat, "Bloody hell."

And as everyone sat in silence, the severity of their situation began to sink in, but everyone was left wondering one thing.

Why?

"So what do we do Inspector? If we go, they kill us and Miss Fisher, if we stay, the bastards'll realise we're not coming and kill her." Bert asked, breaking the silence, and everyone else was clearly just as stumped as to what to do next. Jack pulled out a seat, and sat down, taking his hat off; how he wished he could come up with the solution, but this time it just seemed impossible.

"Perhaps if we all went and had some sort of proper weaponry, we'd stand a chance." Mr. Butler mused out loud. Jack pondered this suggestion, it certainly seemed alright, and, being completely honest he just wanted to get to Phryne as soon as possible.

"We don't know what we're up against though, if they're planning to catch Miss Fisher and us as well, wouldn't they be in some sort of a group?" Hugh replied, and once again, Jack knew he was correct. "Well, as much as I'd love to sit and come up with a proper plan, we'll just have to take that chance." Cec snapped, eyeing Hugh unhappily. Jack sighed, "As much as it pains me to say it, I have to agree with you. It's just a chance we will have to take." "But Sir, won't we need to find some proper weapons?" Mr. Butler smiled and left the room without a word, and came back with a box full of guns. "Let's start with these shall we Hugh?" He replied with a smirk.