On Wolves

Concerning Rank;

This story is probably the most in depth I've ever gone when it come to ranks within the packs. Unlike my other Werewolf stories where packs are more of a loose communal construct, in this story the strictness of the pack structure is viewed as essential to a packs success.

This world works in the way that our society works. Though I should probably specify here: the western, patriarchal and arguably colonial society that we live in. It is very purposefully written in the way that is has been, and I guarantee that a good number of you will not like it.

I take no offence to you choosing not to finish reading. If you don't like it, don't read it.

Rank within packs work as followed:

Alpha- leader of the pack, they are dominant but do not control the pack. A good Alpha puts the rest of the pack before himself and his mate.

Alpha Female- only leading female position. Is to stand by the Alpha and support him. She is below him.

Beta- second in command, is second council to the Alpha female.

Delta- Beta in training, will replace the beta if requested by the Alpha. Essentially Third in command.

Gamma- in charge of war decisions, will lead the pack if going to war. Does not make the decision to go to war, that is the Alphas job.

Epsilon- Pack Warriors

Scout- Tracker/ patrol Wolves

Kappa- Regular wolves

- Kappa are further subdivided into its male and female counterparts. The men run the structures of the pack whilst females run the social inner workings of the pack. Females do not 'work' at all!

- Relatives of Ranking wolves are noted as Kappa, immediate relation does not mean an elevated Rank.

- Rank is a 'birthright' and can be challenged by other wolves but there is only a certain number of wolves that can hold each title. (I.e. there can only be one Alpha, hence why siblings are ranked as Kappa.)

Elder- The older people in the pack, have usually been loyal to the pack for a very long time are usually very wise and another means of council to the Alpha.

Healers- Pack doctors, may also have subordinates/ apprentices.

Omega- Lowest rank within the pack, are usually the physically smallest wolves. Mainly care for the pups of the pack.

Lone wolves- These are wolves who have chosen to leave their pack, usually on holes of finding or starting a new pack which better suits their needs. If in the wild for long enough they become rogue.

Rogues- wolves who have succumbed to their inner beast and lose all humanity. Typically, lone wolves who go too long without a pack.

~*~

Concerning Mates;

It is important to understand that mates are not destined but unconsciously chosen.

Mates are chosen unconsciously by the soul and a bond will only be created if both souls agree to the bond. It goes beyond a physical connection, this is a spiritual connection in which a wolf recognizes something that they cannot live without in another wolf.

There are still sparks when mates touch but there is no such thing as a mate pull. It is just a human thing to be attracted to your significant other but there is no supernatural pull.