Chapter 38

Zachariah

"John?" I am surprised since there was no message or warning from him of turning up at my doorstep.

"May I come in?"

I lead him to the kitchen and place a glass of water with my good arm. The nurse had told me not to work and take rest but that was impossible at the moment so Sara and I had decided not to risk going out for the week for my arm to heal. John watches me closely but says nothing.

There was obviously a reason John was hear and it must be something of importance otherwise he would not be showing up uninvited.

"So what brings you here boss?" I say lightening the mood since the mood somehow always drains when John arrives in a room.

"A couple of things actually. How is your arm?" He points to my injured arm.

"It's getting there." I say flexing my arm although I knew the arm was not ready for any heavy lifting. I was warned by the nurse that if I wasn't careful enough it would open up again and the healing process would take longer.

"And Sara? How is she coping with the news?"

The news of her kidnap date nearing closer and closer?

Terrified of course. But she masked it well.

"She seems to be okay I guess. She understands and is ready to do what it takes to catch her kidnappers."

"Well I came here today to speak to you about the upcoming event. I understand you have doubled security?"

"Yes."

"Good. That was the right thing to do. Especially since you are incapable of defending Sara at the moment."

I frown at his choice of words. "What do you mean incapable?"

"You are not fit for protecting in this kind of condition Zach. I too spoke to your nurse. She said it's best if you take rest."

"No. I am capable. I'm the only one that can do this. No one qualifies like I do."

"I understand but things are not like before. The danger has increased and its no longer just a bodyguard issue. This case is much more."

"Are you saying I have to sit out?"

"No I'm saying to think about the safety of your wife and your own. It is until you fully recover of course. We can't take little risks that can potentially endanger our clients and our people."

There was nothing I could argue with that. He was right. I'd be putting myself and Sara in danger if I could not use both arms.

I nod reluctantly coming to a mutual understanding. A full recovery would require 3 more weeks. Would that mean I'd be leaving Saras side for a full 3 weeks. I mean we were married after all. How did this even work? I guess I'd be back within 3 weeks, maybe less if I actually listened to my nurse.

"No!" The answer I wanted to voice was voiced by a third.

John and I turn at the sound of another presence.

Sara stood by the door face etched in a combination of worry and fear. She clasped her hands together when they start trembling and walks in.

"I'm sorry. I do not wish for another bodyguard."

John turns his body to Sara and I see he is careful as he finds a suitable way to approach her on this sensitive topic.

"I'm sorry for you to be finding out about it like this. But we are pulling Zach out. He will need time to recover. We will execute our plan once you father returns home and hopefully when this whole operation blows out successfully there will be no need for Zach to remain your bodyguard. You will finally get the life you always wanted. No more worrying about safety and no more threats considering we find the real men behind your kidnap. As of now we will assign a whole security team to remain with you at all times. We are not willing to take any risks. You of all prople know thier capability. They have murdered and will not hesitate to do so again."