Chapter 4

After the movie was finished, we drive away in the same car that picked us up.

"Do you want to go to dinner? I figure you don't want to go home yet." Trey says and I turn to him with a suspicious gaze.

"What do you mean?"

"Look, I Can tell you don't get along well with your mother. I would never say anything to anyone else about that, but if anyone payed any attention they would realize it." He shrugs.

"What leads you to think that?" I ask him.

"Nobody calls their mom 'mother' unless they were raised to and I know Paisley doesn't call her that so that's not the case. And you didn't tell her you were going to be here with me." Trey finished and I stare at him blankly.

"Fine. I'll go to dinner." I give in and sit back. We were both quiet on the way there, but once we are seated at the table I speak first. "Paisley probably told mother anyway."

"You think she'll be mad?" Trey asks from the booth across from me.

"No. Probably not." I shrug. The waitress comes up to us with a smile. She was as quiet as she could be to be a waitress.

"What to drink?" She asks and rests her notepad on her overly bloated stomach. I knew her from my school, Amelia. She's been pregnant for seven months.

"Sweet tea for me." I answer with a smile to her.

"Coke." Trey answers simply and she smiles and writes quickly on the paper.

"Are you all ready to order yet?" She asks.

"I'll just have the clam chowder." I tell her and close the menu. Trey orders and she walks away with a nod.

"Do you know her?" He asks quietly. I nod and lean against the wall beside of me.

"Yeah. She used to be really outgoing and on the cheer team and once she got pregnant she started missing days of school and coming back the next with bags under her eyes. Her parents kicked her out. She doesn't really talk anymore." I frown and move the blinds on the window to give me a view of the sky outside. It was dark and clouded. The stars didn't shine here.

"That's sad. Do you talk to her?" He asks. I shrug. I would, if I thought she wanted to talk to me. Most people tried to avoid me.

In my bag, I hear my phone ring. I pull open the Micheal Kors purse and grab my phone. My fathers name stretches across the top. I answer it quickly.

"Hey." I say and look at Trey who found a sudden interest in the napkin in front of him.

"Hey, pumpkin. Are you with your mom? She's got my number blocked and I need to talk to her." I was barely aware of the fact that I was sure Trey could hear my father talking.

"Umm.. no. No, I'm at dinner with a friend. I can relay the message when I get home." I answer shortly.

"I just wanted to let her know that Cameron decided to come here for the weekend." I wasn't surprised since Cameron had a stronger relationship with my father. He kept the same schedule with our parents as me for my sake. This weekend he was supposed to be with my mother.

"Can I come? I haven't seen him in months, Dad and last weekend was cut short." I say and straighten my posture.

"That was my second question." My dad chuckles over the phone and I smile happily.

"Okay. I'll catch the bus tomorrow after school. Unless I can miss?" I suggest.

"That's up to your mom." Dad says warningly. Neither of us test her nerves or limits since she assumed she was better than us all.

The Girl Behind the Camerasजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें