1: Sleep well

*Beep! Beep! Beep!* Maya's alarm clock sounded for the 3rd time after being snoozed twice. Maya groaned and raised her arm out from her covers, slamming her alarm clock with the palm of her hand and causing it to turn off. She threw the blankets off of her body and onto the floor as she sat up and rubbed her eyes, yawning. Her little brother came bursting through the door without knocking, as usual. "MOM SAYS WAKE UP! YOU'RE GONNA BE LATE FOR SCHOOL, LAZY BRAT!" He shouted at her, spit flying everywhere.

"Shut up Jax! I'm up, now get out so I can get changed, you little Gremlen!!" Maya replied with a snarl.

Jax made a face at her and she moved as if she was going to chase after him which caused him to turn on his heel and book it out of her room and down the stairs. She walked over to her door, stretching, and shut it. She managed to half walk, half drag herself to her closet, still half asleep. She always dreaded school. It wasn't that she hated the work, for a matter of fact, she loved it. It was Kian Eaton that made her dread school. He was the most popular guy in the school. Every guy wanted to be him and every girl wanted to be with him. Except for Maya, of course. She sees who he really is and in her eyes, he's malicious. He went out of his way to make "nerd's" lives hell; especially hers. After she got ready for school she stood in front of the full length mirror in the front room. She looked herself up and down and the all too familiar feeling of worthlessness crept into her mind. A feeling that had been growing bigger and bigger ever since 2 years ago when Kian first started targeting her. He never needed to be physical. He molded his words into knives and when they slipped off his tongue, they pierced her mind. She wondered what could possibly go through his head to make him treat his victims the way he does.

Her thought process was abruptly interrupted by her brother ramming his foot into her kneecap, screeching "GO TO SCHOOL!" She scowled at him and without saying anything, walked out the front door.

"Have a nice day honey!" Her mom hollered from the upstairs bathroom, oblivious of what Maya's brother had done. Without saying anything in return she slammed the door and locked it behind her, because god knows that Jax is too lazy to do anything. She couldn't blame him though, it was Friday and a PA day for him. She pulled her phone out of her jacket's pocket and checked the time. It read 8:26am.

"Shit.." She muttered under her breath. Entry bell rang at 8:30 and the bell that marks you late if you aren't in class is at 8:35. 'I can't be late' she thought to herself, silently panicking. Being late would lead to a detention which would not only lead to trouble at home but even more trouble with Kian. He had detention every day, always for a different reason. Rm 112, as always, with Ms. Winsor. The most despised teacher in the school. Maya thought it ironic that Ms. Winsor hates everyone but loves Kian. Whenever Ms. Winsor witnessed Kian belittling Maya she would shrug it off and sometimes even blame Maya saying she 'started it' or she 'provoked' him. Maya swung her backpack onto her shoulder and sprinted to her school. When she reached the front doors she was panting, struggling for air. Sweat prickled down her forehead and she walked in the front doors of the school, pulling out her phone to check the time. It read 8:37. Maya started to panic knowing that her first period for this term is with Mr. Guile and he loves giving his students detention. She didn't bother stopping at her locker because she didn't want to be even more late. The halls were empty besides the usual stragglers who are either late or skipping class. She was hoping that she would get lucky and that Mr. Guile would've not taken the attendance yet, but as she got closer to her math class she saw the door shut and knew that she was out of luck. Dread filled her body and danced in her eyes, as she turned the door handle to the class hoping that maybe just maybe the teacher wouldn't notice. But as she slowly opened the wooden door she found herself standing there with every student and the teacher staring at her.