1. How It All Started

Start from the beginning

"Adam, we'll figure it out. We always do." I'm the optimistic one in the relationship and even I didn't really believe that. My had a limited amount of savings that would only last us a little while.

"I hope you're right. If not I could always call my-"

"Stop." I laughed again.

-

-

-

I came home from work the next day to find Adam focused on the computer.

"Find anything?" I asked

"A job? Actually I have."

I couldn't believe it. He already found another job. Maybe everything was going to be ok. "What's the job?"

"It's a one time thing, but it will pay me enough money until I can get another job." He said not looking me in the eye.

"Ok, but what's the job?"

"It's a job near by," he said still avoiding my gaze.

"Adam seriously, what's the job?" I said getting a little annoyed.

"I'm going to hit the corner store," Adam replied hesitantly.

"Hit the corner store? What do you mean 'hit the corner store'?" He must've been out of his mind.

"I mean I'm going to go in, get the money we need, and get out." He had a serious look on his face. Was he stupid?

"Come on Hanna. It's easy I go in, get in the safe, and leave."

"You know that's illegal right. Stealing? What's wrong with you?"

"We used to do it all the time when we were younger, remember? We would go in the store and take what we needed."

"Adam, I also remember getting locked up a lot. What happened to we aren't going to steal anymore?"

"I remember saying I'm not going to steal anymore unless we have to. And guess what Hanna? WE HAVE TO!" He was screaming at this point.

"Come talk to me when you have a real job." I got frustrated and went to our room.

Every couple of days he he brought up the corner store. It only made me more annoyed that he was actually thinking about going down that path again.

I began to grow stressed and that meant that we argued more. We rarely ever yelled at each other, but now we couldn't even talk in a normal tone anymore.

One night we we got in a fight so bad that he went and stayed over at a friends house. He kept pushing the idea on me until I snapped.

"Why don't you stop being lazy and get a job." I screamed at him. He was on the laptop again look at the expenses.

"Don't you think I'm trying." He screamed back

"Obviously not hard enough."

"Well it doesn't help that you're constantly on me about it." He said finally facing me.

"And you think that robbing that story is the answer? What if we get caught? I don't want to go back to jail. Don't you think of these things." I had tears in my eyes at this point.

"Babe, that won't happen." He said more calmly.

"But it's happened before. I just don't want to live like that anymore. I thought we left that behind." I started moving toward our bedroom. "Adam I'm going to bed."

"I'm still going to rob the store."

"You know what I hope you never find a job." I went into our room and slapped the door. He makes me frustrated.

-

-

-

After that he decided to drop the whole 'hitting the corner store' nonsense.

Money was tight. I worked more so that we could pay the bills. Adam still hadn't found anything permanent yet.

Each month we fell more in debt. We became miserable. I was constantly tired and angry. Adam too. Love did not exist in this house anymore. It went on like this for almost 6 months.

I walked up to Adam one night. I looked him in the eyes and said the words I dreaded so much.

"I can't do this anymore." I said softly.

He rubbed his hands through his curly hair. He didn't say anything. He just looked at me shocked.

"We have to do something Adam. I can't go on like this. I'm not happy anymore."

"What are you trying to say?" he finally asked.

After a long pause I answered.

"We have to hit the corner store."