Chapter Seven: Gwaine is not a prat

Merlin's mind was filled with chaos, pain and screams of terror, but those were not the things he was interested in.  With all of his will, he was trying to focus on the voices of the two witches. He needed to know what they were planning next: it was simply a matter of survival.

He heard Morgause first.

Is he dead?

There was s short silence before Morgana's reply.  He got what he deserved.  This will hurt Gaius more than anything else I could have done.

Why do you trouble yourself with the fate of the physician and the mindless servant? Morgause sneered.  Soon, I will be all right again and together we will bring about the end of Camelot.

I want to see them suffer as I have suffered, replied Morgana.  I want them to pay for what they did to you.

It doesn't matter anymore, Morgana.  Soon we will have the Four Elemental Stones and we shall have revenge.

So Morgana and Morgause knew about the Stones.  He had not expected that. What could two witches possibly do with something that could end all magic?  Certainly, they were not going to put their own lives on the line. What other purpose could they have in mind?  Could the Stones be used to restore Morgause to her full strength? He would have to bring this to Gaius' attention.  And also, Morgause's voice had seemed so distant. He was sure that she was communicating from another location, somewhere far away.  If he could find her and face her alone, then he wouldn't have to reveal his magic...

Someone was screaming his name and shaking him.  It took him a few seconds to realize who it was. Oh yes.  He had just stepped in between Arthur and a couple of arrows.

"I'm all right," he managed to say. "Stop shaking me."

He looked up and saw Arthur staring at him.

"No one is shaking you," said the prince.

"Oh."

He tried to sit up but the sudden movement sent a thunder of pain through his chest and right arm.  He reached up to feel his shoulder with the tip of his fingers and found the arrow planted just below his collarbone.

He let out a sigh of relief.  "It's a flesh wound," he muttered.  "It's all right... It's not that bad..."

Someone was shouting orders.  He wasn't even sure who it was.  Everything was happening in slow motion.

"Get the women and children to safety! Gather the wounded! Knights, on your horses! Make the area safe!"

"Did anyone see Morgana? She was here..." mumbled Merlin.

But then the screaming just became louder.  "How can anyone be so stupid?  You've been my servant for years and you actually never asked yourself why we wear those amours?  It never even occurred to you, did it?  They're to protect us against swords and...Oh, that's right... ARROWS!"

"Eur... I just saved your life... you... ungrateful... prat," Merlin muttered back.  It wasn’t his best insult, but he had the excuse of having just been shot.

"You didn't save my life," replied the prince.  "You only nearly got yourself killed."

Merlin saw Arthur raise his hand towards him in a blur, but he was too late to stop the movement.  Without any warning, the prince took hold of the arrow in his shoulder and pulled.

"Wait, don't!" yelled Merlin.  

The rest of this sentence turned into a scream of pain. His whole body shuddered violently and he lost his sight for a few seconds.