04. Sandwiches

"There, the kitchen is free now," Pete announced, carefully stuffing his work uniform into his closet.

"Finally," Phyllis scoffed, rolling her eyes. "You can't even get changed properly, idiot."

"Sis, you just woke up," Pelly commented warily. "How are you already so upset?"

Phyllis just waved her off, sitting back down on her bed. Now that she was finished getting ready for the day (or rather, night), all she wanted to do was eat something, at least, before her shift began at seven.

"Hurry up," she urged as Pelly hurried off into the kitchen. "I'm hungry. If it's hard for you, I'll just make my way over to the Roost--"

"No, it's fine, it's fine," Pelly's voice came, muffled, from behind the kitchen door. "I'll make us something to eat."

Pete just nodded, sitting down on the sofa in front of the TV.

After a few moments of silence, Phyllis interjected.

"Might as well turn it on," she said, glancing at the television. "You bought the stupid thing for so much cash and you don't even use it--"

"I just happen to like spending time with you more," Pete grinned, looking over at Phyllis, immediately being met with her deathly, sleep-deprived stare.

"I said, turn it on."

Pete sighed, but obliged, reaching for the remote and flipping it to the news channel.

"--As for business news, Nook's Homes has once again acquired a large amount of real estate territory ..." the wide screen displayed an energetic female newscaster.

She was a blonde cat, traditionally caked in makeup, her hair noticeably stiff from too much hairspray. "A recently conducted community survey revealed that Nook's Homes is the #1 choice for new and aspiring homeowners. Wow, can you imagine?"

A picture of Tom Nook flashed across the screen, alongside several other photos of smiling Nook's Homes employees and customers, waving at the camera.

"D-Do you like this?" Pete asked cautiously, once again turning to Phyllis.

"It's another freaking news report kissing up to Nook's monopoly, who would like this?" Phyllis scoffed. "Besides him, of course. He has so much money now that he doesn't even work anymore, just eats food and plays golf all day with his other rich friends. Hah! Wish I had that life."

"You'd play golf all day?" Pete asked, surprised.

"If I could have his net worth for it, I think I'd manage."

"I made us some sandwiches!" Pelly cut in, closing the door to the kitchen as she emerged, balancing three plates, cups, and a teakettle on a wooden platter.

Her face fell as she took in the blaring TV and the two pelicans.

"Why aren't you guys sitting at the table?" She asked, setting down the platter at the aforementioned spot.

"Pelly, we all know we don't really use it ..." Phyllis groaned, getting up to sit down at the table anyway. "But ... whatever makes you feel normal, I guess."

Following closely behind the eldest Perimi sister, Pete sat down next to her at the table, leaving Pelly to sit across from them on the other side as she hurriedly poured everyone tea and invitingly gestured towards the sandwiches she had just prepared.

Of course, sandwiches weren't ideal, but it was the quickest meal that Pelly could make. Plus, it was so rare for all three of them to eat together that anything would have been acceptable.