Chapter 1

A/N Note, this Story is based on what I know from the movies, in which the ages of the Pevensies aren't very well defined so I'll just state the ages I have in mind for these characters.

Peter: 19

Susan: 17

Edmund: 14

Lucy: 12

Caspian: 20

Also,this story takes place about a year after the events of the "prince Caspian"movie/book

The Pevensies had not expected they would return to England for a long time. Edmund and Lucy were still in England, living with their aunt and uncle, waiting to come to America. But now it was the other way around. Susan and Peter, with Mr. and Mrs. Pevensie were on their way back to England. Edmund had fallen ill, and the doctors were not sure what they could do for him. The war made it difficult for hospitals, but they doubted that even without the war they could help the boy. Lucy had suggested taking him to America where the hospitals were better stocked, but the doctors believed it would not help. As they saw it; Edmund Pevensie was going to die.

Susan stood on the deck of their boat, watching over the quiet sea, thinking about her little brother.

'Care if I join you?' She heard the familiar voice of her older brother as he came to stand beside her. She sighed and looked at him.

'I can't believe this is happening, Peter. Edmund can't die.'

He looked down. 'I can't believe it either, Suzy. We fought the white witch, battled soldiers and creatures with swords. We survived all of that, and now he would die before even turning 18... It's not fair. It should not be this way.'

She rested her head on her brother's shoulder, and felt his arm wrap around her. 'If only Aslan could help us out here.'

'We could definitely use it.'

When a few days later the Pevensies arrived in England, they found Edmund in his bed, covered in sweat, shivering and coughing up blood. His mother cried as she lay her eyes upon him. His father looked down, fighting his own tears.

'Oh Edmund!' Susan cried as she ran towards the bed. She knelt down beside him and took his hand in hers. She had never seen him look this pale, ever before. In the corner of the room Lucy sat in silence, staring at her brother as she had for the past weeks. Peter knelt beside her and took her hand.

'I'm sorry you had to go through this alone.' He whispered. He knew everyone was worried about Edmund, and rightly so. But he was worried about Lucy as well. She had watched her brother wither away all by herself, unable to do anything. A single tear rolled down her cheek.

'If only we were in Narnia, I could save him...' She whispered back.

Peter hugged her, for once not sure what to say.

Lucy sat below the Lion statue on the local plaza. She had run out of the house, no longer being able to stand the mood in there. She sat between the legs of the big lion, crying silently to herself. Somewhere in the distance she could hear an old fashioned horn, and for a moment, she thought she saw the statue moving. She turned around and looked at it, startled by the thought. When she realized the statue hadn't moved at all, she turned back to staring at the plaza, disappointment filling her heart. As she looked down she found a crumpled note on her lap. She picked it up, gasped and quickly ran back to the house.