― ix. memory of thy mother

Start from the beginning

"You can't use your wand outside of school."

Edelyn furrowed her eyebrows and vigorously shook her head. "Look, Professor, I don't know what happened last night, but I assure you, I can't do magic without a wand. That's — I wouldn't know how."

Remus placed a hand on Edelyn's shoulder. "Every witch and wizard technically knows how," he spoke gently. "But the ability to successfully perform intentional wandless magic comes naturally to only a few. Now, all you have to do is focus on the feather and pretend that you have your wand in your hand."

"But—"

"Just give it a try," said Remus, as if they were in class. 

Edelyn shifted uncomfortably in her seat. Everyone around the table was now staring intently at her, waiting for her to perform the spell. Rubbing her hands against her thighs, she focused her eyes on the feather and imagined the swish-and-flick movements inside her head as she said, "Wingardium Leviosa."

Nothing happened.

"See, I can't..." she muttered, looking up at Remus, but the ex-Professor simply gave her an encouraging smile and said, "Why don't you give it another shot?"

She sent him a sceptical look but focused her gaze back on the feather, nonetheless. "Wingardium Leviosa," she spoke clearly, and to her great surprise, the feather twitched and then rose into the air. 

She gasped and cupped her mouth; her focus was lost and the feather began to float back down.

Mr and Mrs Weasley's lips parted; Harry glanced at Sirius and Remus to see that they were exchanging a concerned look; Edelyn looked up at Dumbledore. He was displaying a perfect poker face.

"It appears, Edelyn, that you have indeed inherited your mother's magical abilities."

"W-what do you mean?"

"You know your mother as Séraphine Black, but her maiden name was Beaumanoir," Dumbledore explained. "The Beaumanoirs are an ancient wizarding family from France. They have been practitioners of wandless magic for centuries and are capable of...many other things, often defying what we know to be the limits of wand magic. For instance, they are able to apparate across even the strongest of magical barriers, their spells are often unbreakable, and some have been known to be born Legilimens."

Edelyn knitted her brow in thought. "Is that...is that why Death Eaters went after my mum?"

Dumbledore nodded. "Voldemort knew of your mother's heritage. He wanted her to join his ranks, but she refused. The night that Voldemort went after Lily and James was the same night Death Eaters went after your mother. She sent a Patronus to me, but by the time the Order arrived at your house, the Killing Curse had already been used, and at the sight of the Order, the Death Eaters responsible disapparated."

Edelyn's eyes flickered down to the table. "Yeah, I know," she muttered. Then, looking back up, she asked, "But if my mum could do wandless magic...couldn't she have easily thwarted them?"

"Your mother always repressed her powers," Sirius spoke. 

"Why?"

"The Beaumanoirs are not a kind family," said Remus. "Wandless magic is not dangerous or unique in itself, but the Beaumanoirs have practised it along with the darkest recesses of Dark Magic since the third century. They are powerful. Very powerful. But they are cruel and uphold Pureblood supremacist ideas. Your mother escaped her family with her aunt and found refuge in England, which is how we all came to know her. She joined Hogwarts in our second-year and refused to use her powers. But that didn't mean her powers were left unnoticed."