26 Flying to the Capital

About two weeks later, Mashira took off from the beach of the fishing village. This time, Orlen was sitting behind Dorelle, in the normal position for passengers. On his leg he wore a sturdy, protective cast; and his crutches had been strapped to Mashira's back.

 "Let's fly straight to Asbanmor," Orlen suggested.

 Dorelle sighed. "I don't want to get into another fight, just because someone thinks bringing a deserter to bay will be good for their career. And going straight to the capital means that we will meet other dragons."

 "Well, as long as Mashira remains golden, we'll certainly stand out. But if she assumes the colors of any wing, people would have to check twice."

 Good point. Although I do like my gold, Mashira said. A moment later, she was wearing the blue and single gold band of the First Blue Wing.

 "Thank you, my dear." Dorelle patted Mashira's neck gratefully.

 Despite her misgivings, the first day of travel went by without meeting any other dragons. Finally, they spiraled down on a village that was often used as relay station and catered to dragons and riders.

 "I will not hide," Orlen had said very clearly at Dorelle's objection.

 And as if to underline their fears, another dragon was sunning itself on a rocky outcrop next to the few houses.

 It's Bedelin! Mashira turned her head back to look at Dorelle. Look!

 The dragonrider took another look and then smiled. "I didn't recognize her because of her courier colors. That's wonderful!"

 Suddenly, Dorelle couldn't wait to get on the ground and talk to Bryal. Only now did she realize how much she had missed her wing mates.

 Mashira landed gently, despite her rider's hurry. She patiently waited until all gear had been removed and until Orlen had carefully stepped away from her, before taking off and joining Bedelin on the rock.

 Suddenly, a female figure came running out of the dragonrider inn.

 "Dorelle! I can't believe it's you!"

 Bryal stopped when she noticed that Dorelle wasn't alone.

 "Gods, did … but no. Bedelin said nothing of Zomel."

 Dorelle hugged her former wing mate and smiled. "No, even though they tried. They lost the fight."

 Bryal paled. "You fought Ferren and Zomel?"

 "So they did," Orlen said with a certain amount of pride in his voice. "And came out of it almost unscathed."

 Bryal looked at the prince for the first time, and her eyes went wide. "Your Highness! But … but you're supposed to be at sea!"

 "Yes, well. Let's get something to eat and then we'll talk."