17 The Big Picture

It was evening when Mashira wearily returned to the fishing village. The rescued ships had arrived long before her. A crowd gathered where the dragon landed. Dorelle slipped off her dragon's neck and found the elder.

 "Mashira needs food very urgently. Do you have any old goats or sheep that you wouldn't mind losing?"

 Serand smiled. "Your friend will not lack food. I will tell the village. We're already preparing a feast, and she shall not go without."

 Just a few minutes later, two boys herded a small group of animals toward Mashira. The dragon reached out with one foreleg, grabbed a sheep and tore out its throat.

 One of the boys screamed, and Dorelle went to him. The boy was shaking. Dorelle touched his arm.

 "She is a dragon. I'm sorry that she's a messy eater."

 The boy looked up at her. "She's so fast. What if she wants to eat me?"

 Dorelle smiled. "Never. You can be sure of that. A dragon will never harm a human unless that human is threatening her or her rider."

 When Mashira was curled up and falling asleep, Dorelle joined the feast.

 She discovered that she was supposed to sit next to Serand. She almost refused this place of honor, but he insisted.

 "You saved our ships and our family members. You discovered the threat to our village and way of life. And you and your dragon killed the giant beasts. Now we can send out the ships to fish again."

 Dorelle shook her head sadly. "Those were only three of an entire army we saw. Kraken are all over the coast. I don't think you will be able to fish any time soon."

 Serand stared at her. "An army of kraken? Attacking us?"

 The dragonrider sat in thought. "No, I don't think so. They would need less to keep you from fishing. This looks like a big attack on something else. Maybe your entire coast. Maybe all humans who venture to sea. Those kraken are not stupid."

 "They are not mindless?" The elder's eyes were huge. "The have a plan?"

 "That's what I believe. There was too much hatred in their eyes."

 "Oh, my." The elder fell silent for a while. Then suddenly, his face brightened. "We can still celebrate today's victory. Let us worry about everything else tomorrow."

 Dorelle smiled wearily. Serand was right. She gratefully accepted the plate full of meat and vegetables he handed her.

***

Mashira needed a few days of rest before she was willing to fly out with Dorelle to watch for more of sea monsters. Even then, she only took them up to the first cloud height. When the sun slanted across the sea, they discovered that Dorelle's fears had been well founded.

 Kraken were traveling along the coast in large numbers. And they were traveling south. Dorelle bit her lip. She asked Mashira to follow them for a while, and even as the land curved over to the west, the kraken continued southwards.

 "We have to warn them," Dorelle whispered, fear grabbing her heart. "Even if it means going back and running into Zomel and Ferren. I can't betray my parents and my kingdom by hiding."

 I understand, Mashira said very gently. Then she took them back to the village.