14 Connection

Eventually, she became aware of voices. Gentle, soft voices, compassionate and warm.

“I think she’s doing better today. The fever has finally broken.”

“Still wonder what caused those wounds. It looked like huge cats, but there are none around here.”

“She came on the flying beast. We don’t know how far she’s been flying with it.”

Dorelle opened her eyes. “It’s not a flying beast. Mashira is a dragon.”

She almost laughed at the heads that whipped around instantly. Instead, she smiled. “Thank you for caring for me. And those cats were on an island far from here. You are in no danger from them.”

“That is good to know,” an older man said and returned her smile with a wavering one of his own. “We have enough problems in the Cloud Lands as it is, and thinking of such large cats made me worry even more.”

Dorelle realized that the man's stressed expression was less about her than she thought. "What kind of problems?"

The man sighed and tears filled his eyes. "We have lost several fishing boats. With their crew. Now we only have three left."

Dorelle knew without asking that he probably lost some friends and possibly children. It had happened often enough in Hery Bay.

"As soon as I'm able to ride Mashira again, I can guard your fishing boats from aloft. Maybe we can find out what's happening."

The tears spilling over the old man's wrinkled cheeks, and were answer enough.

***

Healing took longer than Dorelle hoped, but the holes and gashes in her legs were deep and took time to close. At least she was soon able to hobble about and sit in the sun. Then she helped gut fish from the latest catch, a task she was very familiar with. Often, Mashira curled up close to her, not wanting to let her rider out of her sight.

One clear morning, when all women were waiting for the fishing boats to come in from a night of fishing, Dorelle became aware of unease among the women. She turned to one of them she had befriended as much as was possible in this short time.

"What's wrong?"

"They are late," Serlun said. "It's good weather with a fair wind, they should be home already."

The worry spread like a wildfire.

Dorelle made a quick decision. "Mashira and I will fly and look for them. I can handle a short flight."

"Oh, would you?" Serlun was wringing her hands.

"Yes, but I will need help with her gear. I can't carry it all yet."

"I'll do it!" Serlun ran, and two other young women came with her.

In next to no time, Mashira was saddled, and Dorelle made her painful way up on her dragon's back.

As soon as they lifted, however, the dull ache in her legs faded to insignificance. It was so good to ride her dragon again!

It is where you belong, Mashira said in her mind. And now we'll find those fishing boats.

With strong wings, the dragon took them up to the second cloud height. The good weather gave them a perfect view of the coast and the sea beyond it.