24 Catching Up

Soon, they were sitting at a table, with generous amounts of stew and bread in reach. Dorelle told the tales of Orlen's rescue and of her fight with Zomel, but left out the kraken danger. That was for the King's ears first.

 "And now we're headed to the Palace." She shot a glance at the prince, who smiled silently, the sparkle in his eyes very much present.

 "Well, what can I say, Dorelle?" Bryal's eyes were still wide. "You and Mashira are always in the thick of it. Not that I'm not grateful for you help, mind you, but I prefer our current, almost predictable life!"

 Dorelle laughed. "I suppose we are! And I'm so glad you got pulled into courier duty. What happened after I left?"

 "I can't believe you really went straight to the Skyforce General", Bryal said, her eyes dancing. "But it sure got things moving. The very next morning, Ferren was relieved of his command, and then Kildren and Lendil took over. They ran us all through some exercises; and then she sent Bedelin and me off to courier service right away. She said we were exactly right for that kind of work."

 "I bet you were relieved."

 Bryal laughed. "Relieved? That doesn't even begin to describe it! Here we were, thinking it was Bedelin's last sunrise, and at the evening we were celebrating our arrival in the courier barracks!"

 Dorelle's eyes were brimming with tears at the news.

 Orlen put his hand on top of Dorelle's. "You did exactly the right thing. You looked out for the dragons."

 "I'm so glad it worked out. I'm so glad he listened to me." She sniffled.

 "Dorelle, it will work out for you as well. I promise."

 And if not, we can always run again, Mashira said gently. We have a home away from home.

 Orlen cocked his head, but didn't say anything out loud.

 He wants to know more about that, Mashira explained.

 Later, Dorelle sent back.

 "So, what are you going to do next?" Bryal asked, her eyes bright with wine.

 Dorelle shrugged. "It all depends on His Highness. We are just his transport."

 Orlen gave her a quick glare then took a deep breath. "Tomorrow, we will report to my father. I suppose he will have some tasks for me and possibly you."

 Dorelle blinked. "'We' will report?"

 "Of course."

 The sparkle in Orlen's eyes was unfair, Dorelle thought idly, then giddiness overtook her. She was going to see King Elsen himself?

 It took her a long time to find sleep that night.