Chapter 7:

Niall opened his eyes, adjusting to the bright light. He looked around the room to see Liam with his head in his hands.

"Liam?" Niall asked softly. Liam's head shot up.

He had red, puffy eyes like he had been crying, and he looked like he hasn't slept in days. Liam shot up with tears in his eyes, hugging Niall.

'"Oh my gosh, Niall. I can't believe you're awake. The doctor said-" Niall interrupted Liam with a shriek of pain. "Sorry Ni, I forgot how much pain you'd be in."

"It's ok, what happened? Why am I here and in pain?" Niall questioned, that day being very foggy in his mind.

Liam looked down before speaking. "You got beaten up very badly." Flashbacks of that day came back into Niall's mind. "I kind of blame myself for that." Liam told Niall, looking at him and then he looked back down at his feet.

"But it's not." Niall stated. "It would have happened even if you were there."

"But I could have stopped them." Liam cried out. "I could have saved you from getting this hurt." Liam cried into his hands. Niall moved closer to Liam, and hugged him.

"It's ok Liam, you're here for me now. That's all that matters." Niall smiled at Liam.

**************

Niall laid in his bed, waiting for Mrs and Mr White to come with Liam, Haylee and Andrew. David kept Niall company but, not too much company. A nurse walked in.

"Niall? You have a visitor." She said walking out. Jake came around the corner.

"Why are you here?" Niall snapped.

"To make it up to you." He held a bear and a balloon in his hand, and walked closer.

Liam walked into the room. "Niall, mom and dad are going to take David home, to babysit the kids."

Niall nodded and David left. "Wait, you're Jake?" Liam asked.

Jake opened his mouth the speak but, Niall interrupted him. "Yes but, he's leaving," Jake looked at Niall in shock.

"Niall, don't be rude. He wants to visit you." Liam took the stuff from Jake's hands and offered him to sit. Jake politely took a seat.

"I'm sorry this happened to Niall." Jake apologized. Niall crossed his arms.

"I'm sure it's not your fault. Niall told me, it was a group who did it. He said that one person did the beating, one stood next to him laughing, and the last one stayed in the back with guilt all over his face. If I find out who did this to him, I will snap their necks." Liam explained.

Fear washed over Jake's face. Liam continued. "I know it's a bit harsh but, they deserve it for hurting my poor Niall. He's like my little brother, well he technically is my little brother now and you do not hurt him. The one I will hurt the mos is the one who stayed back, feeling guilty. Do you want to know why?" Liam asked and Jake nodded.

"He watched Niall get beat. If he really felt guilty as he showed he was, he would have stopped them. He wouldn't let an innocent person get beaten for lies that he told." Niall smiled at Liam's comment.

"Do you guys know what the lie is yet?" Jake asked. A rush of pain flew through Niall's body.

"Ni? You ok?" Liam asked, concerned for Niall. Niall still shaken up by the shots of pain, shook his head.

"Do you need a nurse?" Jake asked and Niall nodded, clenching his stomach.

Jake walked out of the room. A nurse ran in with Jake following her slowly behind.

"What's wrong Niall?" The nurse asked.

"Can I have some medicine please? I am in a lot of pain."

The nurse nodded while running off the get the pills. she came back shortly after with the pills in her hand, She handed Niall the pills and a cup of water, and Niall took the pills.

"I would get some rest sweetie." The nurse said and then looked at Jake.  "Are you family or a partner of Niall?"

Jake waited a minute the answered, "Yes, I'm his boyfriend." Liam looked at Niall ad he was sleeping.

"Is this true?" She asked Liam. Jake looked at Liam but, Liam shook his head.

"I'm sorry I don't know who he is to Niall. Well I know they're friends but not if they are dating." Liam stated.

"Ok since Niall's meds have kicked in and he is sleeping, I will take his word." The nurse walked away.

"Are you actually dating Niall?" Liam questioned. Jake shook his head. "Why not?"

Jake put his head down. "It didn't work out." Jake half lied.

"Awe, I mean not everything works out. My most recent girlfriend just broke up with me. Shit happens." Liam explained. Jake nodded. "I'm sure things could work out and you could date him again. I left the orphanage before Niall dated you but, between the letters he sent me and phone calls while he was dating you, you seemed to make him really happy. He used to tell me how you were an amazing boyfriend and how you made his life complete."

Jake looked at his feet with glising eyes, feeling beyond guilty for everything but, he can't risk anything right now because his and Louis' relationship just started, and his plan won't fully work if he quits now. "I'm sorry I have to go. Tell Niall that I still care about and miss him."

Like that Jake left Liam in confusion.

****************************************************************************

Niall woke up later that day, feeling refreshed and better. He had a huge smile on his face.

"Someones feeling better." Mr White said. Niall nodded.

"Much better. Where's Liam?" He asked, looking around the room. All he saw was Mr and Mrs White, Haylee, Andrew, and David.

"Liam went to go take a shower, but he should be back any minute now." Few minutes went by and Liam returned.

"Ni! How are you feeling?"

"Much better now, thanks!" Niall smiled, making Liam's smile brighten.

"Mom, dad can I talk to Niall alone please?" Liam asked politely. They nodded and left.

"Can Haybell stay?" Niall asked and Liam nodded.

Niall patted the bed, for Haylee to sit there. Niall jumped up on the bed, swinging her legs.

"Jake said before he left to tell you that he cares about you and misses you. He seems like a really nice boy. For as much as I can remember before we completely stopped talking you were really happy to be with him. What happened?" Niall put his head down. "Ni, what's wrong?" Liam asked when Niall didn't answer, Niall just stayed quiet. Not knowing if he should tell him.