The vampire smiled, grateful for the opportunity. "I hope I can keep up this streak."

Klaus looked at the drawing before him. It was the night of their last meeting, the streets outside of Étoiles Filantes. But Rory didn't draw the lines of affluent, influential people waiting in the line outside the restaurant. She focused on the other people that were there that night, those without the comfort and luxury that wealth provided them. There was a mother sitting on an old storage box, doing the hair of her young child while the other child rested their head on the woman's shoulder. There was a man beside the family, tearing a piece off of a loaf of bread. People living in poverty were shown until it eventually led to the well-known restaurant, which provided a stark contrast for such a dark, depressing scene. And the backdrop of the Parisian night only added an extra layer of gloominess to the people's lives, yet made the restaurant's bright lights pop even more.

The scene was hauntingly familiar, an everyday scene of something so sorrowful that shocked anyone who looked at it. It was reality, despite how dark and hopeless it seemed. This was the reality from those people that didn't have the comfort or quality of dining at Étoiles Filantes. Yet, Klaus couldn't help but wonder why Rory chose to focus on this. Why was this the focal point of her art? Why did she choose to draw this?

"It's beautifully dark," Klaus said with a smile. "You managed to capture every detail of the street and the people in it. It looks as if their stories, even the restaurant's story, are all being told within one story."

"All that we see or seem is a dream within a dream."

"Edgar Allan Poe." The vampire let out a chuckle as he looked at her in shock. "You enjoy his works?"

"You sound surprised."

"I just would've never taken you as a fan of gothic literature." Klaus then looked down at the drawing once again. "But then, I suppose you were always a fan of the dark and unpleasant. Most people would find drawing something like this or reading Poe's work too dark for their tastes."

"And that is precisely why I like Poe and drawing images like these ... because they're dark. Life isn't necessarily all light, it's dark as well. And his stories merely reflect the darkness and mysteries in his life just as the drawings of the people outside this restaurant reflect theirs." Rory's head titled as she watched his expression carefully. "What? Do you think I'm strange."

"I always have," Klaus stated plainly. "There is no exquisite beauty without some strangeness in the proportion."

Rory smiled. "So, when is it going to be my turn?"

"Your turn?" questioned the vampire.

"To see your artwork." Klaus' eyes widened in understanding as Rory nodded along. "You know, the seeing of art is kind of transactional. When someone shows you a work of art they created, you owe them an opportunity to see one of yours in return."

The vampire eyed the witch for a second, an idea popping into his head. "Fine then. Come on."

"What do you mean?" replied Rory confused, snapping her fingers and making the sketchbook disappear. That wasn't what she was expecting him to say.

"I mean, we're leaving. Yes, we're leaving right now."

"But what about the food -"

"I will get you something to eat, now come on."

Klaus outstretched his hand, looking at Rory expectantly. The witch looked at the vampire's outstretched hand before meeting his eyes. She could hear the little voice in her head, telling her to refuse and go back home. But she ignored it and instead took his hand with her own, knowing that a chance like this wouldn't come again.