"I do ... I mean, I did."

"Past tense," noted Klaus. "Now, why is that?"

"My family ... we're all part of a family business, and everyone is expected to contribute.  It's a ... factory that my grandparents own."

"And I take it that work has been stressful lately."

"It never seems to end. But I guess that's a good thing because it means my family and I still have a purpose, we're still of value and useful to the community."

The waitress then came over to the table to take their order, leaving after she completed the task. The vampire picked the conversation back where he left off, choosing not to comment on how carefully Rory worded her answer. "And where do you fit into this?"

"I always thought that I was just another cog in the wheel ... or at least that's what I was told I would be for most of my life anyway. But now ... now I'm being told that I'm going to be something else that will set my life on a different course."

"One not of your choosing, I'm sensing."

"Your senses are correct."

"One of the things that I've sharpened over my many years."

Rory smiled at the way Klaus boasted about his skills, though it quickly faded as she remembered the reality of her situation. "But all of that doesn't matter anymore. We all have to do our bit to make sure the factory runs smoothly and stays running. The factory is the only thing that matters."

Klaus leaned forward, grabbing the girl's attention. "If it matters to you, then it certainly does matter." He then cleared his throat, "Like art. That matters to you, correct?"

"Of course it does."

"Then you should do something with it."

"It's not a reality for me, not anymore. So there's no use entertaining the idea."

Klaus pushed no further. "Do you have a favorite artist?"

"Monet. And you?"

"Van Gogh." Klaus rolled his eyes at the look Rory sent his way. "No, my favorite piece by him is not The Starry Night. I can feel you judging me."

The witch laughed. "Is that something else your vampire senses are telling you?"

"It's written all over your face, love." The vampire paused for a moment, an idea popping into his head. "And whatever came of your drawing?"

"My drawing?"

"The one that you were working on last time we were here. Did you ever get a chance to finish it?"

"As a matter of fact, I did."

Rory raised her head, glancing around the room to make sure that no one was looking their way. With no eyes on them, the witch waved her hand over the table. A white glow followed movements, her sketchbook materializing on the table. The book had a soft, beautiful matte black cover, depicting an image of the sun tarot card in gold on the front with a small latch on its edge. She then snapped her fingers, the book opening and its pages flipping on its own until it landed on the picture that Rory wanted.

Klaus raised an eyebrow as Rory turned the book to face him. "Am I really so fortunate?"

"You must have gotten lucky, I suppose." The witch shrugged, pretending as if it wasn't a big deal but they both knew better. It was quite a meaningful and important notion for them to show their artworks to another person. And for Rory to show her art to Klaus, it was a big step for their friendship.