Saturday: What's Left (30)

Start from the beginning

I turn back to the howler and collapse to my knees, unable to do anything but watch in horror as my dead sister is being eaten.

With a jerk of its head, there's a resounding snap! from Vena's body.

Just a minute ago she was alive. Breathing. Terrified out of her mind. But instead of thinking about herself, she was staring at me and screaming for me to run.

That's probably the only time she's ever done something nice to me.

Okay, maybe not, but it sure makes me feel like crap.

Vena didn't deserve to die. She certainly doesn't deserve this.

I heave onto my feet, resting a hand on the wall behind me to steady myself.

"Alright!" I shout through clenched teeth, training my eyes on the howler's back. It goes still at the sound of my voice.

"Maggie, what are you doing?" Veronica hisses in a whisper that is just barely audible.

I raise up my pathetic letter opener. "That's my sister!" I scream at the creature, but I don't have the courage to take a step forward.

It slowly turns around to face me rather curiously, blood dripping from its jaw. I can see Vena's face at last...or what's left of it. Her jaw has been ripped off and the side of her head has been crushed inward.

The letter opener falls from my trembling fingers. I hear it clatter to the floor by my feet, but I can't tear my eyes away from the remains of my little sister.

She was going to graduate high school. Go to college some day. She had dreams. Aspirations.

Now she's just another dead body in the room.

I'm shaking from head to toe. The howler advances toward me with a guttural hiss.

I take a step backward and knock right into Michal right behind me. He pushes me aside, and I stumble to the floor just in time to see him whip out some kind of antique pistol. Michal points his gun straight at the howler's face with lethal accuracy. And straight out of some kind of bad western, the two stare at each other for a brief moment, trying to calculate the opponent's next move.

I shake my head with impatience. "JUST SHOOT IT!" I scream, scrambling to my feet. "It killed Vena! Shoot it or I will--"

The howler bolts toward Michal, and with a deafening gunshot that pops my ears, the demonic creature is shot.

I press my hands against both my ears, clenching my jaw through the unbearable ringing.

To my horror, the creature still stands on all fours. It takes a brief step backward in shock, but no blood is shed. It's untouchable.

Michal freezes and his eyes go wide.

My mouth forms words, but I can't hear myself above the ringing in my ears. I'm not sure Michal can hear me either.

I stagger toward him while still maintaining distance from the howler.

"RUN!" I try to scream. I try to warn him.

He can't kill the howler.

He fires again, and I can see his arm jerk backward with the recoil. I can faintly hear the muffled gunshot, now distant. The creature steps sideways off balance, but it quickly fixes Michal with its cold dead gaze.

"RUN!" I scream again, and with a painful pop, I hear my cracking voice this time.

He can't kill the howler. He can't kill the howler.

It rushes forward, and Michal staggers backward.

"GET OUT OF THE WAY!" someone screams, and I'm pushed off to the side once again.

There's a blur of movement, and then with a soft tck! a wave of fire whooshes through the room and engulfs the howler. I can feel the heat on my face, and I scramble backward until I'm a safe distance away.

The creature let's out a murderous cry, and for a few terrifying seconds, I watch in horror as it writhes around in pain until it finally collapses in a heap of burning skin and bones.

I turn breathlessly toward the source of the voice I had heard, and I see none other than Terrell carrying a perfectly legit flamethrower.

"W-Where do I get one of those?" I stammer.

.......................................

Next chapter: One of Them

"Shoot me," she says rather simply. "Just shoot me and get it over with."