Nine

Two chapters because I didn't update last week. Enjoy :)

Chapter Nine.

{ M E G }

I groggily opened my eyes, staring at my surroundings until it all seemed familiar. I had just woken up from a nap, it seemed. Black dots decorated my vision until my eyes adjusted to everything.

Louis' arms were around my waist. His neck was on my shoulder, warm breath dancing on my own neck. I could feel his chest rising and falling. I moved along with him.

I felt like we were growing further apart, but at the same time, I felt like our love was only growing stronger. I could not read him. One second, I wanted him away from me. Another moment, I craved him right beside me.

I could not bring myself to wiggle out from his grip, so I stayed put. The remote was a few inches away from me in front of the coffee table. We had fallen asleep on one of the couches together. I did not want to disturb his slumber.

I stretched my arm out to try to reach the remote. It was right on my fingertips, but if I moved any further, I might wake Louis up. I sighed, because the house was too quiet. I needed something on. I needed background noise. The TV would do just the trick.

I finally decided to reach out a little further, fingertips again grazing the remote until I lurched forward and fell off the couch with the remote in my hands.

I bit back a yelp, falling on my back. I started to sit up, but everything hurt. I rubbed my eyes and sat up slowly.

"M-Meg?" Louis grumbled. I jumped slightly, as he looked at me through squinted eyes. "Did you -"

"No." I said quickly, trying not to laugh.

"But, I think you did." He chuckled.

"Noooo."

He raises his eyebrows, and even in his sleepy stats, he can still pull off his signature 'Yeah right' look.

"Okay. Maybe I did fall." I said, with a tiny smile.

"You okay, baby?" He coos, tired voice making me smile as I leaned against the couch. I rested my head beside where his head was resting. He kissed my temple. "You worry me sometimes."

"I'm sorry." I whisper on instinct. "I mean you don't need to worry about me and I know you can't help it, but you always do and -"

Louis clamps a hand over my mouth, making me laugh. I hear his laugh quietly and imagine his smile in his drowsy state. "Shh." He whispers. "You're tired too. Come back." He pats the couch.

"Are you okay?" I whisper, looking back at him. He only got in this sort of cuddly sort of mood when he was feeling really upset or lonely. "Did I do something? I'm sorry if I did."

He shook his head, ducking his under his arm. Sometimes, he really does remind me of a small child.

"Hey." I whisper closer now, running my fingers through his hair. "Boo, what's wrong?"

"I don't know." He whispers.

"Louis."

"I just need you close right now." He looked up at me solemnly. "I feel like we're . . ." his voice trails off. "Meg, just -"

"Yeah. Y-Yeah." I nodded quickly, pushing myself up so I could crawl back close to him. I rested my head on his chest, hearing his heartbeat. I wrapped my arms around him, and whispered soothing things in his ear. Before I knew it, he was asleep again. I did not move or reach for the remote. I stayed put.

Ellie eventually walked past me, smiling as I stroked Louis' hair.

"Is he okay?" She asked, kneeling down beside us.

"Yeah." I mumbled, taking in Louis completely.

"He seems a little distant." Ellie cocks her head to the side, taking the remote from me before sitting on the love seat to the left of the couch. "You two confuse me."

"What do you mean?"

"I feel like there's always something going on between you too. This tension. I don't know. Do you still love each other?"

"I love him."

"And?"

"Maybe that's the only side to this story."

"Getting my shot gun. Hold up." Ellie growls, flipping past the Kardashians.

"You don't have a shot gun." I laugh, shaking my head.

"Yeah, but Liam does." She says, in a 'duh' like tone.

"You're cute, love." I smiled, giving her a look.

"I mean it. I've threatened Louis before." She shrugs, like it's nothing.

"You did not!" I said softly, but still maintaining my surprise and anger.

"I did. I warned him all right. Once I figured out what was going on."

"I guess it's your turn to play protective sister. I tortured you with Luke." I mumbled.

"And you still continue to." She scoffs.

"How is he?"

"He's doing well. He's safe and with his family."

"I like him. He's very sweet." I smile to myself.

"He is." She blushes for a moment. "But back to Louis."

"Oh gosh."

"You don't think he loves you?"

"I think it's because we're older." I sighed. "I don't know. Sometimes we fight, but I feel like we've moved past it."

"Your mind is playing tricks on you." Ellie settles on Say Yes to the Dress. "Look at you two." She gestures to our entangled bodies, his warmer and mine a little cooler. His breathing is soft and a little shallow, and I know he is dreaming. "You can't say he doesn't love you."

"I suppose you're right." I smile, kissing his forehead.

After two weeks in the mountains, we finally left. I packed up both Louis and my own bags, earning a smile of gratitude from Louis because he always hated packing. Packing meant leaving. Packing meant going away.

He held my gloved hand as we trekked down the mountain and he only let me out of his sight unless I was with Liam.

So Ellie was right in a way. It all was in my head.

"Hey," I called to Louis as he slid into the driver's seat. He met my eyes, raising his eyebrows a little. "I love you."

He smiles, eyes crinkling.

"I love you too."