Seven

Okay. Bonus update. I didn't realize how much I missed these crazy adults/kids/my first characters/my babies.

Mellie or Lellie? Any preferences? :)

Chapter Seven.

{ E L L I E }

Niall brightened my mood up just enough so I could get going on my own. It was refreshing, and when he left after breakfast I was perfectly okay with that.

The next couple days got easier. Before I knew it, it was Louis birthday and everyone was doting on him. We all stayed up until midnight and as soon as the clock hit 12:01, the presents were dragged out and wrapping paper was everywhere.

I was playing games with the kids at two o' clock in the morning, their laughter and conversations making me laugh. I remembered back to when they were younger, and they said the strangest things. I remembered listening to Eva and Dakota once say, "What's the point of school? All we do is sing about letters and eat burritos."

And I could never forget the time when Logan asked me why girls had butts on their chests. I laughed so hard because kids say the funniest things.

"Ellie?" Danielle's voice rang through my ears. I was staring at my phone, refreshing my inbox over and over again. It was now eight a.m., Christmas morning. Her hand is on my back. "You all finished?"

She is referring to my empty plate. I helped make French toast this morning and it was delicious. I nodded, still staring at my phone, and thanked her.

I excused myself, rushing back to my room, with a little grin on my face. I shut the door behind me and laid back into my bed. I answered his call, and smiled.

"Merry Christmas." I say. "Thank you for the card, Michael."

"Sure thing, Ella." His voice carries through and into my ear. "How have you been, love?"

"Better." I sigh. "So glad to be away from school."

He laughs, and it reminds me of fireworks exploding on a hot July evening.

"I know. I'm away from everyone. It's great."

"You dying your hair over break?"

"Platinum or pink?" He jokes, in a light hearted tone.

"Platinum." I say, wrapping a curl around my finger. "Maybe I'll get pink hair."

"Oh no, you don't." I hear him scold me playfully. "Don't even think about it."

I laugh along with him, but something within me says it is completely wrong, because every time I talk to Michael, I hear Luke. Every time I laugh at one of Michael's jokes, I hear Luke delivering the punch line. And I've been meaning to call Luke. I suppose I have an excuse because it is Christmas.

"Look, I have to get going, but I'll talk to you soon." I say, running a hand through my hair.

"Merry Christmas, Ella." He sings to me.

"Merry Christmas, Michael." I chirp back, sitting up right. We both hang up and I look down at my phone. I scroll down to find Luke's number. I hit the call button before I chicken out.

It rings a couple times and I worry it will go straight to voicemail, but on the sixth ring, someone finally picks up.

"Ella?" It's a girl. "Sweetheart, it's Lucy. How have you been? Merry Christmas!"

I am startled because it has been months since I've spoken to her, but hearing her sound so chipper is so refreshing. "Lucy! Hi. I've been doing great. Merry Christmas to you too!"

"I'm guessing you called for Luke." I could hear the smile in her kind voice. It is low, but not low like a man's. It is motherly and full of warmth. "He's more interesting anyways."

"Oh please, Lucy. You're quite something yourself."

"Thank you, Ella." She sighs happily. "I hope he didn't fall asleep. Our Aunt Janet came by and fattened us all up." We both shared a laugh. I heard a slight knocking on wood and I guessed it was his bedroom door. I heard hushed voices and then Lucy's voice came back. "He's awake. Tell the family I said hello."

"Sure thing!" I smiled, feeling warm and tingly inside. The phone was passed to Luke and his voice gave me chills when I heard him.

He sounded drowsy. His voice was deeper than normal and had a raspy sound to it.

Michael may have been fireworks, but Luke was the grand finale to the show.

"Merry Christmas, Luke." I said timidly, readjusting how I was sitting on my bed.

"Merry Christmas to you too, sweetie." He says, his voice kind and soothing to my ears.

"I'm sorry for getting angry with you." I fiddle with the loose pieces of fuzz on my socks. "I made a promise, and I got angry when you put me in my place." I bit my lip. "Can you forgive me?"

There was a silence that felt like a thousand years, but it was only a few seconds. "Of course, Ellie."

I sighed in relief. "Thank you. I really didn't mean to yell!" I ramble.

"I didn't mean to suffocate you!" He says sincerely, with the same nervous feeling that I share. "I-I just really care for you."

"I care for you too." I whisper back, my cheeks warming up.

A comfortable silence falls between us and I smile when I hear him chuckle.

"Hey, umm, family just burst in and if I don't get out of this room, Lucy will be convinced that I'm running a drug cartel in here." Luke exaggerates as I laugh.

"Merry Christmas, sweetheart."

"Merry Christmas to you too, Luke."