Chapter 15

Standing at her usual spot in front of her house, Helga impatiently tapped her foot and repeatedly looked left to right; each time extending her neck out a little in hopes of being able to see further away.

"Where is she?" The girl asked in a rushed tone as she awaited her usual companion. It was very rare for Phoebe to be late to anything, much less to school and the two had made it a habit of talking together every day since Helga's move into the old beeper store. Beginning to feel a little worried, Helga repositioned her backpack and began to walk. Although there was still plenty of time to get to school, as Phoebe always liked be early just in case something happened along the way, Helga couldn't help but think something was off.

Casually, she began to walk towards her best friend's house; noticing other kids walking passed her with backpacks in hand. What could be holding her up? The blonde girl wondered as she walked. Secretly hoping that everything was okay, her stride began to pick up into a brisk walk towards her destination. Upon arrival, everything seemed ordinary. There were no ambulances or police cars in front of the house. No gathering of spectators. Nothing different at all. Cocking her eyebrow at the dull sight, Helga walked up the stoop and rang the door bell. She crossed her arms and perked up her ears once she heard the sound of footsteps coming her way.

"Oh, Hello Helga!" Reba spoke in her usual cheery self before her face turning a little less happy. "You must be here for Phoebe..."

"Well Doi. We do have to go to school today unless today is some random holiday that no one told me about- nor any other kid I saw heading in that direction" Helga responded as she pointed in the school's direction with her thumb. "Where is she?"

Reba's face turned into something of that of a worried parent and glanced inside her house before opening the doorway fully and allowing Helga entrance. "She hasn't been feeling well this morning. A stomach bug woke her up pretty early and she's been tossing and turning since then." The adult explained as she walked Helga into the living room where she could comfortably have a seat and wait for her only child. Placing a hand on her cheek, Reba let out a tired sigh. "Apparently this has been going on for some time and the dear girl couldn't find it in her heart to tell us..."

This being the first time hearing of this, Helga's eyes went wide. "I-is she okay?"

Giving a small smile, the woman nodded. "Yes. Once she came to me this morning, I gave her something to soothe her stomach and it's been calming down. I asked her if she still wanted to go to school and of course her spirits picked up. She should be on her way downstairs any moment." The two sat in silence for a little while and listened for the girl upstairs little pitter patter on their ceiling. "I'm sure she'll be happy to see you came for her, as well."

Helga let out a snort, followed by a sly smile. "Of course I wouldn't have left without her!"

The young woman's words brought a smile to Reba's face.

Before they knew it, Phoebe was rushing downstairs with her backpack tightly in hand. Once finally stepping into the seating area, the girl noticed the little amounts of sweat she had emitted from her brow and wiped it off with her sleeve. "Sorry I'm late, Helga. I got-"

"Yeah, yeah. You're not feeling well, your mom told me" Helga interrupted; standing up and heading for the door. "Get the lead out, Pheebs. At this rate we'll be late for class."

Turning to her mother with a smile in hopes of easing the woman's rightly founded worries; Phoebe nodded her head and turned around quickly to follow her friend. "Hurrying!" She squeaked out.

Helga knew that Phoebe didn't like to bring about a lot of attention on herself, especially when it came to something like this so she had decided it would be best to act as normal as possible. Once they exited the house and got about a block in, she began to remember the day prior along with its sequence of events. After mulling it over, the girl turned to her smaller companion but before she could open her mouth to speak, she noticed the look of pain on her face. "You sure you're okay, Phoebe? You don't look too good."