Chapter 8

The talk between Arnold and his family went about as well as could be expected. Phil went on to explain in great detail about the kids in Arnold's class and just how they played. This included Wolfgang and the older kids, along with Harold and Helga's bullying tactics. The two parents had looked at each other in confusion and asked just how kids could stay being friends with those who hurt and belittled them? The answer was quite simple to Phil: Kids will be Kids. Although the children that Miles had grown up with were quiet and attentive, it was very different for both Phil and Arnold's generation. After he quelled the storm that had brewed within the large household, Phil then brought young Arnold aside to have his own one on one talk about his bad instincts.

"Look Arnold," Phil started as he sat at the edge of his young grandson's bed, just as he was about to finally get some rest, "I didn't want the others to know this, because you know how they can be but, I did happen to overhear the argument between the two of you while I was in the lou." Arnold gave a shocked expression but Phil raised his hand to silence him so he could continue. "I heard what she said and I heard what you said. It seems to be that the both of you deserve to apologize to one another."

"But that's just it, Grandpa. I tried to apologize to her but she just left and- and you saw what happened." Arnold explained sadly as he shuffled his feet under the blanket.

"I know, I know but sometimes you gotta wait for someone to cool down on their own. You were upset and she was upset and no one can listen to another person if they're head in clouded in anger and resentment, Short man." The elderly man explained softly as he watched the poor boy give him a sad look. "Now cheer up! Tomorrow is another day and you can come up with a way to make your little angry friend less mad at you." Phil then stood up and headed towards his bedroom door. "If anyone can do it; you can, Arnold."

The encouragement made him smile a little before nodding to his grandpa. "Thanks Grandpa." He replied as he watched the older man leave the room. His words were indeed insightful but it seemed no matter what advice people gave, his guilt still seemed to eat away at him.

Arnold turned off his bedroom light and stared up into the sky above. The moon was very bright and most of the rainclouds had cleared, leaving a sparkling sky to watch over him while he thought. Just what would he say to her, exactly? All of the apologizes he could think of just didn't seem to be enough. Helga had finally opened up to him in a way he never imagined and he repaid her by using her own insecurities against her. "I wonder if she hates me now." He wondered as he tossed and turned in his bed, now staring at his bedroom door. He re-imagined the scene of their argument and her immediately bolting out his door, and then sighed. He knew letting his guilt eat him awake wasn't going to do him any good so he proceeded to try and think happy thoughts; thoughts of a better tomorrow. Tomorrow he would think of something to say to her and make things right again. They had their presentation tomorrow after all, so it would have to be before school started, right?

"You did what?!" Gerald hollered in amazement as him and his best friend walked to school.

"I know!" Arnold yelled back, a heavy frown plastered on his face. "I know... It was wrong."

"Well yeah but that's not what I can't believe." Gerald continued as they looked towards the school they were nearing. "I just can't believe you had the nerve to say something like that to her! I mean, you have to be the only person in history to ever give her a dose of her own medicine!"

"Gerald!" Arnold scolded, his guilt now beginning to weigh him down once more. "That's not helping!" As they reached P.S 118, Arnold stopped and looked at his feet. "What I did was underhanded. I shouldn't have-"

"What? Stuck up for yourself?" Gerald suggested with a raised eyebrow. "That's something you honestly should have been doing from the start! That girl has been walking all over you for years and you just let her do it! I'm glad you finally found your voice!"