Chapter 49

The Tax preparation office felt stuffy and loud as Miriam answered incoming calls, transferred customers, and did her best to mingle with her fellow workers throughout the day. It was business as usual, however, her heart sank as her mind constantly wandered to and fro her conversation with Bob from the previous day. It was simple, yet complicated. She knew she didn't have anything to worry about, but there was this nag in the back of her head that she just couldn't ignore. She had been trusting her husband with their lives up until this point, and he usually made things work one way or another. The business flopping wasn't exactly his fault, nor was the fire... at least not directly. Sure, he probably shouldn't have trusted some business partners, and definitely not the person who jerry-rigged their electrical in order to cut costs, but his mind was always looking forward and that was something she always trusted about him so... why? Why was there just this sinking feeling that something so precious to her was being pushed aside, for something else she couldn't see?

Looking over at the nearest wall clock, Miriam saw that it was only just past noon and she still had a few hours to get herself together before facing Bob. Feeling a bit overwhelmed, the aging woman sunk herself into her office chair and closed her eyes.

———

"Miriam, did you hear what I said?" Asked an expectant Bob Pataki, as he stared at his perplexed wife, who had yet to say anything about the news he had just shared. "Earth to Miriam!"

"Y-yes?" she replied, startled.

Bob shook his head. "Criminy, woman! I expected you to be at least a little excited."

The face of Miriam Pataki turned soft as she smiled at her husband, but then back into one of confusion. It wasn't that the news he shared wasn't good, it was just a lot to unpack. "I am, I am." She reassured him, gently. "The money is now in our account but... they think someone attacked us specifically?" She asked, trying her best to understand exactly what their new situation was. Her husband wasn't always the most honest, or upstanding businessman, so while it wasn't out of the realm of possibility that someone would come after him, it was just baffling to think they would when their business was at an all-time low. "Should we be worried?"

"No!" The man bellowed out, completely astonished that she had missed his point entirely. "Not only do we have the insurance money, but once the police find out who did it, and don't worry, I'll be marching on over there tomorrow to have a little chat with them to find out exactly what they know, it means we'll be able to sue them for even more money!" A greedy grin grew on Bob's lips, as he placed both his hands on top of her small, narrow shoulders. "Not to mention the 60% back for our expenditures! Miriam, if anything this is great news!"

"But..." She started with a frown, unable to come to the same understanding. "Didn't they say anything about our house?"

"Huh?" This question stopped the man in his tracks, causing the wheels in his brain to begin turning. His face became a few shades paler when he realized he had completely forgotten to even mention the house to the bank. "Ahhh Criminy!" He yelled, taking a few steps back until his legs hit their bed, causing his body to drop down on it. Bob placed one of his hands over his face. "I'm sorry, Miriam! With everything they were telling me, I... it totally slipped my mind!"

As much as Miriam understood how that might have happened, this didn't make her feel any better, as this was the one bit of news that she was hoping to hear from him, specifically. It was all well and good that they were no longer in dire need of money, and that some of their problems were solved, but what good was any of that if they were still basically homeless? "It's... It's okay, B." She replied after a moment of silence, before sitting down next to him and placing her hand on his leg in an attempt to comfort him, despite her disappointment. "Just be sure to ask them tomorrow, alright?"