Chapter 22 - Don't Fall In Love With Me

NOTE: Sooooo sorry for making you guys wait! I'm currently editing How to be a Queen and that took up a lot of my time. Also, we're coming closer to the end of TROTG and I'm not so sure I'm ready to let go of this baby yet. Haha.

Mah heart and mah soul is in this book. XD

By the way, if you want to read the new version of HTBAQ, 18 chapters are up on Inkitt. Just go to http://alyssaurbano.com/htbaq to get the inkitt link. Thanks!

I'll keep this note short because I'm so excited for you guys to read the update! 

Hope you enjoy!

CHAPTER 22 – DON'T FALL IN LOVE WITH ME

"Where are we going?" I asked Ethan.

"You'll see. Soon," he replied.

I was so full and actually very sleepy but at the same time, I didn't want the night to end. It looks like Ethan felt the same way because a few minutes ago, he asked me if I wanted to go somewhere to continue this blind date.

Of course, I agreed.

Ethan's company was the best. I'm not deluding myself that this could lead to something more and it's really hard to explain... but it's one of those Cinderella moments. That one where a fairy godmother – in this case, fate – waves her magic wand and gives a poor girl a night to remember.

And in the fairytale, Cinderella only ever wanted to go to the ball. She didn't say she wanted to marry the prince outright.

And yep, ladies and gentlemen, that's exactly what's happening here.

For a while, we enjoyed each other's company in silence as Ethan skilfully drove across the busy streets of Manila. It's Valentine's Day and almost every establishment was decorated with hearts and cupid's bow. The others were still decorated red because Chinese new year is coming up as well.

All in all, love is in the air. Not for me though. Just like last year, I'm still single. I've tried my best and am still exactly where I started – except I now nurse a broken heart and less faith in men. Huh. I guess this means that I'm actually set back several paces.

All the guys I liked never liked me back. I guess Ethan would fall into this category as well. He's someone I'd want to be with but I know deep inside that I don't have a shot at that goal.

Cupid hit me with his arrow but he didn't hit my beloved and this is why my love is unrequited.

"You believe that?" Ethan asked.

I gasped for I didn't realize I actually said it out loud.

"Uhm. Was just thinking to myself," I hurriedly answered. "It's Valentine's Day and I'm seeing all these decorations and that was the first thing that popped into mind," I added.

"So do you believe that?" he repeated.

I shrugged and stared out the window again. "I'm not sure actually. Sometimes those we love do not love us back."

"Such is life," he said. "But then again, maybe it's just not what's meant to be," he added.

Huh. "That's true. I guess it's one of those light-darkness things."

His brow creased. "What things?"

"How would you know light if there is no darkness? How would you know happiness if there is no sorrow? Those things."

"Ahh, yes. We are meant to know unrequited love so that when the real one comes, we appreciate it in all its finest."

He was silent for a while, his fingers tapping an unknown rhythm in the steering wheel. When the traffic light was red, he turned towards me.