Chapter 10 - Mr & Mrs Henley

(*Mrs Henley -  Margarita Henley , Sebastian's wife)

Fascinated Anne Shirley was standing in front of Mr & Mrs Henley's porch. She was captivated by the massive house in front of her. Gilbert was watching her with a dopey grin in his face, he was somehow proud he could impress the girl , even though he shouldn't have taken any credit for that , as the house was not his. He knocked lightly on the door and shortly after a beautiful looking woman with dark hair had opened it. She was wearing a bell-shaped puffed sleeves dress , patterned with florets. Her lovely dress caught Anne's attention immediately, everything was already appealing to her.

"Gilbert?" the confused woman spoke slowly, waiting for the boy to explain who was the girl standing next to him.

"Mrs. Henley," the boy nodded respectfully , "This is ..."

"Anne!" the woman interrupted him , nearing her oil lamp closer to Anne's face to take a better look at her. 
She gave her a welcoming smile and then turned to Gilbert , who wasn't looking at all surprised by the guess of the name. He smiled back at Mrs. Henley and then lowered his head shyly.

Anne however , was not expecting that. Had they met before? She didn't remember her at all.

"Please, come inside!" the kind woman offered.

Gilbert had walked in first and also almost trembled by doing so.
That was not a very Gilbert Blythe thing to do. He really must have been extremely nervous to walk inside first before a lady. He failed his manners twice today.

Twice!

But unlike with the coat , he couldn't fix this one and go back outside solely so he could allow her to go in first , that'd be stupid ... Just like him trembling a few seconds ago. Gosh!

"Let me take that for you dear, " Mrs.Henley offered helping Anne to take off Gilbert's coat , that had kept her warm till now.

"It is Anne , isn't it?"

"Oh- yeah .. sorry Mrs.Henley," the girl finally spoke, "Yes. It is Anne indeed." 

"You have a lovely name Anne. We just have to make sure we spell it with an 'E' , of course." she responded with sly smile on her face.

Anne was VERY content to hear that!
Although , she was surprised Mrs Henley would know about her, she could swear they'd never met before.
Anne glanced over at Gilbert, who was fidgeting and facing the other way.

"I am gratified you think so , Mrs.Henley!"  she said, "To be fair , I never really liked my name. I think it's very plain. But to have it said that it's lovely by someone like you , it is very consoling!" Anne confessed.

Mrs.Henley , who was already enjoying Anne's company , laughed and then asked "Someone like me?"

"Well of course, I'd be content being half as good looking and elegant as you when I grow older."

Gilbert's eyes widened at hearing that , he turned around facing Anne but he quickly looked away when their eyes met.

"You shouldn't think of such!" Mr.Henley responded.
"I think you are a very sweet looking young lady," she continued. Her gaze traveled at Gilbert, who turned his back on them. His feet were bouncing in place and he had shoved his hands in his pockets.

"Don't you think so , Gilbert?" Mrs.Henley had queried out of nowhere. 

Both Anne and Gilbert felt their cheeks starting to heat up.

"Wha- uh.." Gilbert stuttered "I— yeah , uh .." he cleared his throat awkwardly and finally managed to say "Yeah , sure..yeah" in a voice that came way squeakier than he thought it would.

Mrs. Henley had grinned.

Anne and Gilbert were trying to avoid the awkward eye contact at all cost.

"Why are you here , dear?" Mrs Henley asked , hoping it could make the situation less uncomfortable for the two.

"I -"    
"She- "

The two spoke at the same time. Then both of them silenced to let the other do the talking.
It wasn't getting more comfortable at all.
Gilbert decided to continue talking since one of them had to explain.

"Anne went on a little adventure , she wanted to find the Fields of Fire but instead lost her way and-"

"I didn't lose my way," she interrupted, "I was going to find them if I had more time."

"Oh, is that so?" Mrs. Henley chuckled.

"Yes," responded Anne unconvincingly, "I wanted to head back home but it darkened a lot. And Gilbert - he .. uh he said that maybe you could help — But , now that I am thinking it , I shouldn't have accepted. It is very late , I don't want to cause you any disturbance.  I shouldn't have come."

"Nonsense. We will take you to Avonlea as soon as Mr.Henley gets home. He had some business in town but he'll be here shortly."

"Thank you Mrs. Henley , that is so very kind of you. I am deeply grateful!"

"No need to thank us dear. We wouldn't let Gilbert's friend wandering around in the dark," Mrs Henley smiled warmly.

Gilbert's friend??
Had he mentioned they were friends to her or was Mrs.Henley just assuming? Anne wasn't quite sure they were friends. She'd be surprised   if Gilbert had said they were.

"Are you sure you want to go back tonight?
We have two guest rooms. You can take one of them if you'd like and tomorrow at first light we will ride you back to Avonlea." Mrs. Henley offered.

"Yes!" Gilbert said suddenly , sounding a little too excited.

"Thank you for your kind offer Mrs.Henley, but I would like to get back tonight. Marilla and Matthew must be terribly worried," said Anne , completely ignoring Gilbert.

"As you wish!" the kind woman responded. "I best go looking for Mr.Henley then, we don't want to worry Mar- ..."

"Marilla and Matthew," Anne helped.

"Yes,  Marilla and Matthew," she added.
"Will you be alright waiting here with Gilbert for a few minutes , while I go look for Mr.Henley?"

Anne really wanted to say no. She didn't want her to leave and let them get back to the unbearable awkward silence. But it would be so impolite to say no and Mrs Henley had been really kind to her.

"It'll be alright. Thank you." Anne responded.

____________________
A/N
This was originally planned to be the last chapter but it would be so long so I had to split it. So now it will be one more chapter after this.
Also Margarita Henley is Sebastian Henley's wife. I made up a last name for Sebastian since we don't know anything about him , we've only seen him with Gilbert in BTS pics.
Please vote & comment if you liked it :)
____________________