Chapter one - Something missing

SPRING - Oh what a beautiful season Spring is! Especially for Anne who had been waiting impatiently for it to knock on Avonlea's door. Spring is a miraculous experience , she thought. The world comes filled with color and the scent of delicious greenery. Some little birds swaying their wings , the others singing with their sweet voices in the branches of trees. And the flowers ... oh the fields dotted in all kinds of flowers , It's majestic!
The world began to seem so dull during Winter, which to Anne came as a surprise since she had always thought Winter was a "Frozen magic land, that provides a lot of scoop for the imagination" However , imagining herself as Adeline , the alluring snow queen , was not helping her get through the cold season faster. Perhaps it was because she had the feeling that something was missing. Or was it someone , who had left a year ago and hadn't come back yet? But that's ridiculous of course! It couldn't be because of that , it must have been something else.
Either way , spring had already come so there was no need to worry anymore , everything would go back to normal. She was sure her brain would stop thinking such absurdity , now that it had far more interesting things to think about .. like the spelling bee competition that would take place that week for example. Which she realized she also didn't want to think about because her thoughts were circling her back to last year's spelling bee , in which she won against her biggest rival and very deservingly by the way! For some reason she could not make her brain focus on what Mr. Phillips was teaching. She was afraid that If he'd ask her to repeat anything that he was teaching for the past half an hour , she wouldn't be able to say any word at all. She caught herself looking back at Gilbert's seat quite a few times that day , in which seat Billy had been sitting ever since Gilbert left, which was quite ironic , she thought , since Billy was the complete opposite of everything Gilbert Blythe was , surely he did not deserve to sit there.Let's say she didn't like him sitting there at all. He had taken the position of the most popular guy in school too , which annoyed Anne to no end since everybody would follow him and do everything he said , which is never good news. He had not hassled Anne though , which came as a surprise to Anne. She wondered if anything had happened that made Billy stop harassing her, or maybe he could have changed for better? People change , right? Gilbert did. He had called her "carrots" before, which had hurt her feelings excruciatingly but then they'd made peace with each other. Although , Anne hasn't forgiven him entirely. She had planned to give him another chance to redeem himself (just to make sure he really IS sorry) , when he'd come back of course , but he never did. She had heard gossip about him, from the women in town , who never seem to put a Blythe's name out of their mouths. She had heard the news from Rachel , who was also in-the-know with everything that happens with everybody else's lives. Every time Rachel would gossip about someone in town , Anne would pretend to listen to her but in fact she'd escape somewhere with her imagination. Thank goodness for my imagination, she'd think. She didn't want to be nosey , she actually despised behind the back chatter. Until , well ... until she had mentioned Gilbert Blythe's name , which made Anne's ears wide open. She felt guilty for listening but she was bursting with curiosity! Rachel had told her that Gilbert has traveled Europe. As soon as she mentioned that , Anne got caught into a daydream, thinking how absolutely wonderful would be to visit Europe! She thought of all the beautiful cities she could see and all the fun she could have , probably there were places even prettier than those her imagination makes up. Unfortunately , she knew those would only stay as dreams. So she was more thankful than ever that she had such a colorful imagination! She got too caught up in her daydream that she totally forgot Miss Lynde was still talking to her about Gilbert. She'd ask her to repeat herself but she knew Miss Lynde would tease her about it and she wouldn't want to sound too interested.
Anne really did not have her head in the lesson today. She only got snapped out of her daydream when Diana , who was sitting right next to her , put a hand on her shoulder and whispered her name. She also realized Billy had been staring deadly in her eyes , while she was staring at him unintentionally. That made her rather uncomfortable. So she broke the eye contact as soon as possible and turned back to Diana who was waiting for her friend to come back to earth.
"Anne," Diana whispered again. Anne looked at her , waiting for her friend to say some sentence longer than her name. Or has Diana already said something before but she didn't hear it because she was busy daydreaming? Oh how embarrassing! But at the same time , this has happened too many times now. Diana was probably used to it.
"He - ..." struggles Diana , trying to find the right words. The anticipation was making Anne even more curious about what her friend might want to tell her. It must be something interesting , she thought.
"I am sure he'll come back soon Anne!" she finally breaks the silence , looking at her friend rather scared she might overreact and Mr.Phillips would make them both leave the classroom , she'd be in terrible trouble with her mother then.
"Who?" asked Anne , who was caught off guard at that very moment.
"Gilbert Blythe," answered Diana softly.
"Oh!.. no .. I was just ... it was not," mumbled Anne trying to find the right words to say.
" .. I was just wondering if he'd ever want to come back. I mean THINK Diana! How beautiful must Europe be? I can only imagine how magnificent it must be! Although , I think not even my imagination will do it justice." said Anne whose face expressions were constantly changing from excitement to sorrowfulness to excitement again. "Oh Diana! Would anybody want to come back after seeing the wonders of the world?" asked Anne pleadingly. Diana stayed silent waiting for Anne to answer her own question , as she always does.
And so she did "I wouldn't! ... or actually I think I would.. yeah of course I would." continued Anne talking while making up her mind " I think that no matter what wonders of the world I see , I'd never compare anything to Avonlea and my dear Green Gables! And of course , I wouldn't want to leave Marilla and Matthew ever, I love them with all my heart!"
said Anne. Who was suddenly feeling all nostalgic.
"But ," continued Anne , suddenly glazed "I don't think Gilbert appreciates the beauty of Avonlea! He does not have tiniest bit of imagination in him." said Anne starting to heat up "well and I am sure he has not appreciated Avonlea ever! And besid-"
"Oh Anne , you don't know that!" interrupted Diana , finally breaking her silence after listening to her friend's long rant. Anne was starting to raise up her voice while talking which made Diana worried she'd get both of them in trouble. "I am sure he cares about Avonlea just as much as you," said Diana trying to soften the tension. "It's justifiable taking some time out of here after his father died." finished Diana hoping that would calm her friend a bit , who was clearly taking the roll to insult Gilbert.
"I guess you're right, It wasn't nice of me to insult him , especially now that he's not here to defend himself," admitted Anne , feeling guilty for heating up like that. "But I guess.. I kind of miss the competition, it is not fun being on the top of the class when you don't have to work as hard as before to earn the spot," she continued trying to justify herself.
"Well Anne , as I said I am sure he'll come back soon and you'll have your competition back," said Diana with a warm smile "Now let's listen to Mr.Phillips before he catches us chatting," said Diana. Anne nodded in agreement , even though she knew she would not listen to him at all that day.

A/N
HEY GUYS ! Wow okay this is my first fanfic in 3 years! I didn't think I would ever be able to write one but I did and I am proud of it tbh.
Also I am sorry for all the grammar mistakes , keep in mind English is not my first language , I mostly learned it from social media. So , I hope it's not too bad.
And please leave me any comment if you've liked this :)
Updating soon I hope.