Terror filled his eyes as he glanced down at his arm. Blood gushed from his wounds. The dark liquid quickly soaked through the cotton material of his jacket. His face contorted into one of pain.

"Why? Why would you do that?" she asked, kneeling down and applying pressure to the deep punctures. She could feel the wound beating like a heart under her shaky hands. "It was stupid."

Her hands made contact with his skin and he sucked in a sharp breath. "I couldn't let you get hurt. Not again."

"You're a stupid, stupid man Lincoln Mosely."

"You're alive. That's all that matters to me."'

"You could have been killed," she scolded in tears.

"You could have too. Besides," he paused, sucking in another breath, "I'm going to live."

"Arryn," Claire's voice pulled her back to reality.

"We need to get him to a hospital. Think you can help us up?" Arryn asked. With the adrenaline beginning to fade, the bruising on her chest decided it was a great time to announce its presence.

"Did... did that dog attack you?" Claire asked, helping Arryn get Lincoln to his feet. "I was inside and heard screaming and a gunshot."

Arryn's stomach twisted. Tears pressed against the dam she had built inside. She wanted to give in, but she needed to stay strong. At least for now.

"It was just like the deer, Claire. The foamy mouth and relentless aggression. Lincoln needs to be treated for rabies ASAP."

Arryn and Claire pulled Lincoln off the ground. His groans of pain protested against the movement.

"Looks like someone had enough sense to call 9-1-1." Lincoln nodded his head in the direction of the flashing lights coming up the driveway.

"Hallelujah," Arryn whispered, letting out a breath of relief.

Austin walked toward the three of them, his eyes wide. He gulped, twitching his fingers at his side. "W-was there a name tag on that dog?"

"Yeah," Arryn answered confused. "I think its name was Summer or something like that. Why?"

"Sonny?" Austin's mouth fell open, looking past them at the immobile dog.

"Yes. It was Sonny," Arryn confirmed, still feeling as if she was missing something.

"We buried Sonny three days ago. She's dead."
Arryn let out a gasp.

Lincoln followed with a scoff. "Austin. Lay off the beers, man. Dead dogs don't run around biting people."

Car doors shut in the distance as paramedics rushed across the yard.

"No. You don't understand. We found her dead in the yard—like she had been attacked by something. My dad and I buried her. We made her a little cross and everything."

"What is this, Pet Sematary? Cujo over there was living when it attacked me. Sounds like you need to lay off the Stephen King books and come back to reality." Lincoln grimaced, tensing up under Arryn's arm. "Now you might want to stash your alcohol before they bust you."

Austin didn't move. His horrified gaze returned to the lifeless dog. His genuine terror infected her. She believed him. After everything she saw, she believed him. Drunk or not.

Her gaze followed his, expecting the dog to pop up again and snag another victim.