Chapter 10

Jessica stepped out of the Throne Room, Loki led in chains behind her by two guards. She turned back to them. "I think I can handle him; thank you, my friends," she said, and took the leads from them.

Sif stood with her arms crossed. "Certainly, you're jesting," she grumbled.

"It wasn't my intention for him to be released," she said, glaring back at him.

"Then why did you say anything?"

Jessica stiffened, focussing on the floor in front of Sif's feet. "Because in my, albeit, stupid generosity, I wanted to lighten his sentence; I wasn't expecting the court to almost fully excuse him."

Loki furrowed a brow. "Pardon me, but I didn't ask you to save me," he growled back. "You could have shut your mouth and let me go."

"Maybe I should have," she shot back.

Thor strode over to her and lowed his head and voice. "What have you done?" he murmured.

"Obviously, I've managed to be promoted to therapist by your father. "

"What will you do if you can't change him?"

"I suppose I'll just have to drag him back before the court, admit my mistake, and have him imprisoned," she said before her tone turned a shade darker. "Or if I'm feeling really merciful, I'll put him out of his misery before he spends his life in a cell."

Loki rolled his eyes and looked away. "I'm standing right here, you know."

Thor glared at him threateningly. "And all the better that you know what she'll do if you step out of line, brother. While I wouldn't want you to be imprisoned or killed, I also know that you've committed many wrongs; you're lucky father is letting you go easily like this."

She tilted her head. "What about your punishment on him? After all, Odin said that you can seek out punishment on Loki for what he did to you on Earth."

"He was beaten and shamed on Earth, and has come home as a prisoner; I believe that is punishment enough," he said.

Sif shook her head and turned away. "Valhalla forbid you have any children, Thor," she said. "They'll never be properly punished by you... And then we'll have another you! A reckless and battle-hungry thrill-seeker."

Thor scoffed at her. "I learned my lesson on Earth!"

"After your daddy punished you for the first time..." retorted Jess. 

"Father punished me before then, too..." Thor scrambled for further explanation when she gave him an unconvinced expression. "... just not as severely."

Loki rattled his chains as he rocked back and forth on his feet. "Not that I'm not enjoying this lovely conversation, but now I have a question: what are you going to do with me? As your prisoner-"

"You aren't a prisoner," said Thor.

"Ah, no, wait, don't put words in my mouth. I could keep him as my prisoner until I decide what to do with him," said Jessica, extending a finger to silence him. 

Loki blinked slowly as he waited to speak again. "I doubt you'll let me go. If you're going to 'rehabilitate me,' I have a suspicion you won't let me wander far." He shrugged. "So, with that in mind, where will you keep me?"

The challenging smirk on his face made Jessica narrow her eyes. "I don't know yet; I guess we'll have to find out." 

Her hardened, hazel eyes lifted and grew softer when she spotted someone behind Loki. "Frigga!" she said brightly.