Chapter 35: Emerson

"She still asleep?" Phalen walked into the room without knocking.

I sat on the sofa across from my bed, eating my breakfast. Not that I tasted a thing. My focus was entirely on the girl in my bed. Not even answering my brother as he crossed over to place a chaste kiss on her forehead.

After his announcement that he was adopting Rose, I could see the tender way he treated her as a daughter. I couldn't remember why I ever thought he was interested in more.

"You look like shit." The voice sat next to me, my eyes still glued to the bed, only flinching to my plate enough to find more food. "Em, stop." His hands pressed over mine. Only then did I look at him. "You can't continue like this. You're no good to her if you crash and burn. You went straight from her kidnapping, to her rescue, to this. All in forty eight hours. You need to sleep."

Sleep? How could I sleep?

I nearly lost her. I might've still lost her to those nightmares and fears. Every time I closed my eyes I could see her tied up, scared and crying while that...

"Em! Stop it before you lose control and hurt Rose."

I looked down to see where my hand had started to shift, looking to rip into Wyatt for what he did. Instead, the claws found a grip in my own thigh. Damn. I would heal just fine, but it ruined my pants and left blood on the floor.

"I won't hurt her." I said as I took another bite of eggs. It was the truth, my wolf would never let me hurt her. I was sure of it as I had already been woken by the beast when such a change started to happen as I drifted off with her in my arms.

The unconvinced huff was enough to tell me he didn't believe my statement. "Brother, she's safe. I'll stay with you both. But you need to sleep."

My hand trembled. "I'm terrified she'll be gone when I wake."

"I'll be here. She won't disappear."

I nodded slowly as I ate the last bite of my food. It was good to eat something, probably the first meal I ate since it all happened. Despite the lack of flavor, my stomach would no longer leave me in bed. Though I worried about Rose. I was sure Wyatt hadn't bothered to feed her, and she wasn't conscious enough to eat until the rejection was complete.

Please, Moon Goddess, let it be over soon. We had found her only twenty four hours ago. Hours later, she was finally rejected, but an acceptance didn't usually take more than a day.

A few more hours. Only a few more hours. I begged.

I climbed my way back into the bed and wrapped myself around Rose once again. There was no way I would go to sleep without feeling her close to me.

"Where are things going between the two of you?" Phalen's question wasn't wanted. I didn't have an answer yet. So, instead of trying to work anything out, I closed my eyes and ignored him.

*****

Sleep had been a rather difficult state to remain in. My wolf was too nervous of hurting her during the nightmares, or her disappearing when we dropped our guard. Yet, I still found some rest. Though it was no surprise that my eyes flew open the moment she moved.

Wiggling around in my arms as she started to wake quietly after sleeping through most of the day. The longer period of rested sleep without hearing her screams or whimpers, was a good sign. The old bond had been completely removed and she truly rested.

A breath left my chest, with it, a silent prayer to the Moon Goddess. It was all over. Rose would no longer suffer because of her bond to Donovan. No more rejections, betrayals, no more worry about her life being tied to his, not even her heats. Those wouldn't start again until she chose a new mate.

Arm pulled her closer as she started to roll away from me. I wasn't ready to let her go. "Em, I just need to use the restroom."

With a sigh, I forced my arms to move and give her the freedom to leave.

"Welcome back." Phalen greeted warmly. I could hear the kiss to her forehead, though I didn't bother to open my eyes. I didn't want to see her walking away from me.

Without the overwhelming fear of her being taken away or disappearing, I was left suddenly nervous. With Donovan's accepted rejection, she no longer needed to find a mate. The pressure wasn't there.

Where did that leave things with the interrupted conversation?

Would she then reject the idea of a mate at all? Not that I could blame her for it, given her past. But I wasn't ready for her to reject... me.

I rolled to my back and threw an arm over my eyes. Desperate to figure out what to say.

"You know, you had us worried little wolf." I could hear my brother say as a click announced the ensuite bathroom door opening. "I'm so glad this is over and you're home safe."

My eyes finally decided to open. My arm moved to provide a view and my head turned toward where he stood hugging Rose close. "Agreed, now let her come back to bed. She must still be tired and need the rest."

Golden brown eyes glanced over to me and swept down the length of the bed, lighting up with the soft smile on her lips. She noticed the pillow I always kept between our hips. She had been assaulted and didn't need to feel my anatomy during her nightmares or worry that my morning wood meant anything more than biology. "Thank you. For everything." She opened her mouth to say more, but her stomach interrupted any sound. "Perhaps I should eat before I sleep more."

"On it. I'll link with the maids and have something brought in for all of us." Phalen said as he hugged her tighter before pulling away and retrieving a small pile of clothes. "In the meantime, I love you Rose, but you need a bath." He jokingly pinched his nose and shoved the clothes in her hands.

"Just for that, maybe I'll go roll around in your bed first." She huffed at his antics.

His jaw dropped. "Now, let's be reasonable."

"The only she-wolf who could threaten the king and get away with it." I chuckled at the two. "Not sure if I should come to his defense as Captain of the Guard, or join her in torturing my big brother? Choices, choices."

Rose pouted. "You're supposed to be on my side."

"Of course I am, baby."

"Baby?" Phalen sputtered. "What the hell?"

Opps.

I really hadn't meant to say that. And I had no response, so I shrugged my shoulders and turned my back to them both as I moved to climb out of my bed. Goddess, my body hurt. I knew I would be stiff after everything. However, my joints ached, my muscles felt bruised. I didn't have any serious injuries from the battle, and I had plenty of time to heal from the way I pushed myself.

"Are you listening?" My brother's voice demanded.

No.

I had completely lost track of anything he said as I catalogued my aches and pains.

"Em?" My eyes snapped up as Rose stepped in front of me. Her warm hand on my shoulder, concern written on her beautiful face.

"Huh?"

She shook her head slightly. "You don't look well. And your skin is warmer than usual. How long have you been like this?"

"I think I'm just crashing from the stress." I tried to calm her.

She sniffed the air. "What are you hiding?" Of course she could scent the lie. I don't know why I tried.

"I'm a werewolf. I don't get sick. I'll be fine. Go take your bath. Don't worry about me."