Chapter 24: Rose

After the king's announcement, dinner was served. I was appreciative for the meal for no other reason than it took attention away from me. I could see eyes still glance my way as Phalen moved to his seat on the other side of Emerson.

It was nerve wracking. Honestly. I could barely taste the food as my jitters crawled through my chest and settled like a heavy weight in my stomach.

I could see how becoming a princess was protecting me from open rudeness and carried a weight of protection. However, suddenly, I worried that it would make it harder to find a mate. Would any male even want to talk to the obviously protected princess? Or would the ones who did talk to me do so just for the climb in status? My mind whirled in confused chaos.

"Your cooking was better." Em leaned over to whisper in my ear.

I blushed. Both at the compliment and for the small jump I made as he startled me out of my thoughts. "I'll remember that for your birthday."

His mouth opened to say something and then he stopped, he looked around the room and then looked at me. "No one can remember your birthday being listed in the records we reviewed. When is it?"

"May."

"May what?"

I sighed. I knew he could find the information on his own anyway. "The first."

"So, in six weeks. Good to know."

Rolling my eyes, I tried to turn the tables. "And you?"

He shrugged. The white shirt of his tux contrasting sharply with the black vest and tie he still hadn't removed. "I'm a New Year's baby. You missed me already." He chuckled. "Phalen though, his is in three weeks."

"Well, then maybe he would like breakfast in bed for his birthday."

Em's eyes grew wide. "Where's mine?"

"Your birthday isn't until New Years. You snooze, you lose." My hand patted his knee in consolation. I wasn't sure what I found more funny, the low growl rumbling from his chest or the pout on his face. "Too cute. But it still won't work, Your Highness." I shook my head as I smirked.

"My request is for something with bacon and sausage." Phalen leaned over, obviously over hearing my conversation with Em.

"I used to make a potato casserole with leeks, sausage and a white cheddar sauce. I'm sure I can add bacon to it, and eggs and fruit salad on the side."

The king licked his lips. "Deal."

At that, Em whimpered. He actually whimpered.

Phalen lost it, he roared out laughing at his brother and the whole room froze at the interaction. Had they ever seen the king laugh? I wasn't sure they had with the way several people watched with bugged out eyes and slacked jaws.

However, it was a reminder of my surroundings. We weren't in the private suites anymore. Shit.

Dinner continued rather uneventfully through dessert. However, as the last of the dishes were being cleared away, Phalen stood from his seat and walked over to me. "You know, it's tradition that the king starts the first dance." He offered his hand to me. "May I have this dance?"

My cheeks warmed in my embarrassment. "I've never danced before. I'd rather try that in private before I trip and make a fool of myself."

"I'd never let you fall." That was some confidence. Not that the king had ever fallen behind in any of his promises or confident declarations that I was aware of. It must have come with the crown.

With a gulp and nervous butterflies in my stomach, I rose to take his hand. He lead me toward the dance floor on the other side of the hall. We had to pass through everyone else. Eyes and whispers followed our every move. The closer I walked to strange males, the more my skin crawled like spiders racing up my spine.