Chapter 13

Dakota's POV

I hadn't talked to Reid in a while, he just hasn't answered me. I didn't understand why, things were just going well. We planned to tell Sadie soon, but I couldn't if he wasn't talking to me.

"Dakota, if he isn't talking to you, you should give up on it." My dad told me. "You deserve someone who is going to treat you right."

"Dad, I told him to do it, he's dating Sadie. I don't expect him to break up with her for me. I don't want him to, that's horrible." He frowned at me and I shrugged.

"Sometimes you have to do what makes you happy. And... you can't help who you fall for."

"I haven't fallen for him." I told him, rolling my eyes. It was true, I haven't.

"I know, I'm not saying you have. But you keep going like this and you will." I knew he was right. I hugged him tightly.

"Reid's a good guy. An amazing guy Dad. He's just doing what I said. Give him a break, hmm?" He sighed. "I know it's because you love me."

"As long as you know." He kissed my forehead and I smiled. I went to the kitchen to get something to eat and found some carrots.

"Yum." I said grinning and opening the bag. I was just pulling one out when I heard a knock at the door.

"Sweetie, get the door!" I heard my mom yell. I groaned, I just wanted to eat my carrots.

"Okay." I yelled and went to the door. I opened it and there stood Reid.

His eyes were red and he looked depressed. His hair was a mess and he... well, he was a mess.

"Hey." He told me giving me a small smile. "It's been a while." I frowned and pulled him into a hug.

"I don't care. What's wrong?" He began bawling into my shoulder.

"My dad died. It was a car wreck. He was just starting to get better Dakota. He'd been going to therapy and rehab. He was coming from work and an eighteen wheeler ran him off the road. We were going to be like we were. He was supposed to swim with me again and... now... it'll never happen. I'll never talk to him again." My heart shattered hearing his so broken. I didn't want to tell him any of that bullshit people usually do. I didn't want to say "he's in a better place". Because I knew that it didn't help.

"At least you know he was happy when he died. He wanted to get better for you. He loved you so much Reid. And he knew you loved him just as much." I rubbed his back and he cried harder.

"You think so? You think he was happy? And that I loved him?"

"I know it. I know he'd definitely want you to be happy too." He didn't say anything else, but I didn't expect him to. Instead, I led him to my room and he cried there as I held him.

"Thank you for being here for me."

"Whenever you need it." He sighed and hugged me tighter, staying quiet. The rest of the day, we stayed in my bed and watched tv. Every now and then, he'd cry a little or we'd talk. But it was mostly quiet. I knew it'd take a while, but we'd get him through this.

He stayed the night at my house that night. We laid in bed and he cuddled up next to me.

"How are you okay with us sitting in silence so long?" He asked me.

"Something similar to this happened to me Reid. My mom died, when I was thirteen. She died in a plane crash. The woman downstairs is my step mom. She's amazing, but sometimes I miss my biological mother. She and I were crazy close. So were she and my father. But there's nothing we can do to get them back." He was quiet for a second.