It was now a few weeks into the term and Seth and I were hanging out on a regular basis. Maybe more than we ever did when we were younger. Everything was back to normal and all was right with the world.

It was like he never left, most days.

"Get to the point, Seth."

"'Kay, I just have a few questions about Saturday."

"Ugh." I threw my head back and groaned. "Give me a break."

Seth scowled. "You just said—"

"I know!" I said, wailing. I grabbed one of the tan throw pillows they had lying around and repeatedly though ineffectively tried to bash my face in with it, just to avoid the conversation.  "But that was all anybody ever talked to me about all day. I came here to do homework, not for more girl talk."

"Think about what you just said for a moment. Adrian." Seth huffed, took the pillow from my hands and set it on the empty seat cushion between us. "You know there's a reason it's called homework, right?"

Huh. I thought girl talk would be the part he had a problem with.

I shrugged. "Yeah, but I feel so much smarter just sitting next to you."

"Oh." Seth said, finally, with a nod. After a beat, his face soured. "Hey."

I grinned. That might have sounded mean, but it was no meaner than the things he'd say about, say, my musical ability for example.

"J/K," I assured him, chuckling.

The truth was, tensions were at an all-time high at my house. It was my sister's senior year of high school, the last home stretch.

Who knew getting top college acceptance letters by the truckload and being a shoo-in for class valedictorian could be so physically and emotionally draining for both the student and her mother? Certainly not this girl, who would never have to worry about those kinds of problems, anyway.

I knew well enough to stay out of their way, and I think maybe my dad had the same idea. He'd always worked long hours, but lately it seemed like he was never home.

So, anyway here I was, where I wouldn't be disrupting anyone's important business. Most days, it was just Seth and his younger sister, at his house. When his parents' marriage started going south, his mom started teaching full time at a music school in town. (Having me as her only paying student was neither personally gratifying nor profitable, I supposed.) She taught mostly kids so her work schedule lasted long after our school hours.

"What was your question?" I prompted. Seth drew in a breath but before he could say anything, I spoke again, still laughing. "Wait, you're not gonna prance around in different outfits and make me choose what you'll wear to the party, are you? Because I really can't take doing that again."

Seth looked ready to strangle me, which just made me laugh even harder. "Forget it," he said, grumbling. He then got up and stormed off, in the direction of the kitchen.

"I'll stop!" I called after him, trying my best not to laugh anymore. No response. "I'll answer all questions! Truthfully and without judgment!"

"Hah!"

It was my turn to frown. When he didn't return right away, I rolled my eyes and started shoving my books and other stuff into my backpack. Obviously, I wasn't gonna get any more studying done tonight, in this house or anywhere else.

I was debating whether to follow Seth into the kitchen so I could yell at him to stop being a goddamn diva or just go home. Before I could decide or finish putting stuff away, he reemerged, munching on Goldfish crackers, of all things, and drinking a Coke. He brought a Coke for me as well.