Chapter 6

She liked him. She liked the feeling of liking him. She felt light and smiley and too full of excitement to think of anything else.

-Freya North, Chances

"Kaeleigh Rianne Evans," Kaleb growled out at me, entering my room.

"Yes, brother dearest, what is so important that your hand just couldn't be bothered to knock?" I inquired sweetly.

"Can you explain to me why Ryder asked me if he could call you sometime?" He spat.

I sighed, "He's my friend, Kaleb, and yours, too. There's no reason for you to get so overprotective."

"You've known this kid for two days!" He huffed.

"It's only a phone call, Kaleb, he's not asking me to sacrifice my virginity." I retort.

"Not funny," he scolded me, "How did he know to ask me about it, anyway?"

I lower my eyes, "He asked me for my number after free period. I told him I didn't have a phone and he asked if he could call me through yours."

"Aw, Kae," Kaleb sighed, sensing my embarrassment towards being the only teenager in the United States without a cellphone.

I'm so dramatic sometimes.

"It's fine, Kaleb," I mumbled, "I know we, you especially, do the best we can. It's just been awhile since a boy's taken any sort of interest in being my friend." I confessed.

He pulls me into a hug, resting his head atop mine.

"I really wish I could do more for you, Kae. You, out of all people, deserve it. And I know you're excited, but, come on, you're beautiful! You are my twin," he boasts, "There's honestly no reason as to why boys shouldn't be lining up at the door- except for me, threatening to beat them with a stick, of course." He tells me.

I giggle, nuzzling my face into his chest, "You're the best big brother ever, even if it's only by three minutes and forty five seconds."

"I try," he shrugs.

I push him off of me at his remark.

"Does this mean Ryder can call me and you won't freak out?" I ask hopefully.

He sighed, "Yeah, I guess."

I squealed in delight, "I love you!" And kissed him on the cheek.

Forty-five minutes later, and I'm in the kitchen, making spaghetti and dancing along to the radio.

I turn around to drain the noodles in the sink, only to find Kaleb standing there, watching me, amused, with his phone pressed to his ear.

"Jesus, Kaleb, don't do that. You almost gave me a heart attack," I whine.

He rolls his eyes at my dramatics, "Whatever, there's someone on the phone for you," he informs me with a smirk.

I almost drop the noodles at his news.

I take a deep breath, pouring them back into the pot before asking, "Um, who is it?"

Kaleb's smirk grows into a wide, mischievous smile, "Ryder."

I silently hold my hand out for the phone, and Kaleb chuckles, passing it to me and winks.

I roll my eyes and press the phone to my own ear before starting on the sauce, "Hello?" I ask softly.

"Hey, Kaeleigh!" Ryder greets my cheerfully.

"Hey, Ryder," I reply with a small laugh.

"Whatcha up to?" He questions.