Chapter 17 - Mitchell

Song: Willow by Jasmine Thompson

***

I can't believe she's this confused. A part of me wants desperately to believe that she is a dangerous gang leader and Dasher, but nearly every single thing that has happened thus far proves otherwise.

First off, she very obviously had no idea of the Hunter Mission, which would mean that she was actually not a Dasher until the moment I told her of the mission. Of course, she could be lying, but she would have to be an extremely talented liar to come off as being so genuine. So while I don't trust that she's telling the whole truth, I don't think she's completely lying either.

Second, if she's supposed to be this terrifying, murderous gang leader, she's not very intimidating. She's supposedly killed thousands of people, and undoubtedly some of those were big, strong men. If she was able to attack, restrain, and kill men double my size, why was I able to reststrain her so easily myself? If she was able to fight back, why didn't she? I can't imagine that she wanted to be caught, after all.

So perhaps she is a Dasher, but there's absolutely no way she's a murderer of thousands. And I don't want to kill or turn in an innocent person. But still, I won't let my guard down. You never know what someone may be capable of.

But if she's innocent and the government knows, why do they want her so badly?

And what does that mean for my family? If I don't kill or turn in this innocent girl, I'll never see my family again. I'm not risking that for the safety of a stranger, I can't.

I'll have to turn her in. But not today, not now; there's so much more I want to know before I turn her in, such as why the CIA lied to me about who she is, and if I'll really get my family back when I turn her in.

She's currently staring out her window, sniffling faintly. I clear my throat. "Hey, uh. . ." What was her name? "Brooklyn," I suddenly remember. "You're gonna be fine. I'm not gonna hurt you. I'm going to take you back to my house where you'll be safe," I say, unsure of whether or not I'm lying.

"But don't you have to turn me in?" she asks, and her voice cracks.

The car pulls into my driveway. "Not today, I don't."

Why I decided to go home I don't really know. All I know is that I don't want this girl going to the police just yet. She's probably scared out of her skin that a teenage boy just took her to his house, but I don't really care. It's all just a matter of keeping her somewhere until I decide what to do with her.

Once the car is off I step out, hurrying over to her door and opening it. I grab her around her arm as she steps out of the car. She jumps, apparently nervous, but I can't really blame her.

"Just a precaution. Don't need you running away, after all," I say, leading her towards my front door.

I enter the passcode to unlock my front door. It swings inward and I hastily walk Brooklyn inside. I can tell her legs are shaking as she walks, seeing as she seems slightly unstable.

I shut the door behind me, locking it. "I promise I'm not going to hurt you," I reassure her once more. "But you have to promise that you're not going to try and run away. That will be our deal," I say, and she looks at me nervously.

"Fine, I promise," she says, and her voice shakes.

I take a small step towards her. "All right then, I'm going to untie you," I say, and she quickly takes a step back.