murphy's law [1] |✧

chapter seven | forgiveness & close calls

As night fell, Hunter emerged from the dropship and scanned the surroundings

As night fell, Hunter emerged from the dropship and scanned the surroundings. Only a few remained awake. She approached a small campfire, the embers still aglow, and sat down, absentmindedly playing with a stick in the fire.

Suddenly, Murphy quietly sat down next to her. He didn't say a word, but she could read his unspoken thoughts.

"Apologies won't change the fact that you almost killed Jasper," Hunter said, not looking at him. Murphy took a breath.

"He was in pain. It would've been a mercy kill," he tried to explain.

"That's not how you saw it. You were irritated and wanted to eliminate the problem," Hunter remarked, tossing the stick into the fire. "And for your information, he's awake and he's fine." She started to get up.

"Hunter, wait," Murphy stood up, and she stopped and turned around.

"What?" she sighed.

Murphy looked down at the ground and then back at her. "I'm sorry, I really am," Murphy said. Hunter looked at him, trying to figure him out.

"Are you really? Because it doesn't seem like you are," Hunter scoffed.

"I can't excuse what I did, but I don't want you to hate me for it," Murphy said.

Hunter shook her head. "What if that was me in there?" She pointed to the dropship. "Would you have killed me because I wouldn't shut up, because I was in pain?"

Murphy sighed and took a step back. "That's different."

"Is it? Just because you know me and care about me doesn't mean that you can just kill someone because you don't. That's not okay, Murphy," Hunter folded her arms.

"Rylee," Murphy said. Hunter stopped for a moment. She rarely heard her first name; the last time was before her father died. "You're the only person I care about here. Everything I do is to protect you."

Hunter scoffed. "And what exactly does killing Jasper have to do with protecting me?" Murphy struggled to reply. "Exactly, Murphy. You might feel like you're doing the right thing or that you feel like having Bellamy on your side means you can do whatever the hell you want. But you can't. You can't just kill someone to make yourself feel better."

Murphy ran his fingers through his hair, looking at the girl he truly cared about being so furious at him. Hunter looked into Murphy's eyes, and she took a breath. There was a short pause between the two as Murphy struggled to find the right words. Hunter looked around, realizing her surroundings, and she sighed.

"Look, Murphy, I'll only accept it because holding grudges won't get me anywhere. And we're living in a world where we don't have the luxury of avoiding problems." Hunter went over to him and hugged him. "You're still family, Murphy. Always."