0 - Prologue

YOKO's POV

I was sweeping the front yard of Mikage Shrine while my Master is out on an errand. I felt the presence of a Yokai as I stand guard. However, I only felt a very small presence as I was curious. I slowly made my way over to the direction where the presence was. As I got closer, I notice there was a basket and inside it was a small bundle of joy.

A small whimper and cry was heard from the basket. I knelt in front of it to see an adorable baby fox Yokai with yellow hair and bright blue eyes. Soon, the baby starts to cry for I notice the baby was cold and hungry. I gently lift the cute, pudgy baby up into my arms to see it stop crying, but snuggling to my warmth. Then I begin to make my way to the shrine to see Mikage-sama with a kitsune cover in blood.

"Mikage-sama, why is there a kitsune with a dark curse?" I ask him with curiosity while the Land God was doing the same to me. "Yoko, why are you holding a baby fox in your arm?" He ask me while the two of us made our way inside the shrine. "Do you mind getting a bed prepare for him." He stated as I hand the baby to one of the shrine spirits to hold while I went to prepare a futon for out guest.

For a short while, I came back to help Mikage-sama with our guest to his room. Then Onikiri came to me with the baby in her arms. "Thank you Onikiri." I said as the two disappear. I sat down in front of him while the baby was cooing. "So, explain to me first Yoko." He said while I look down on the baby's beautiful pink eyes. "Hai, Mikage-sama. I found this baby Yokai abandon nearby the shrine ground." I stated while looking at him straight in the eyes.

"And... What about your side of the story, Mikage-sama?" I ask him as he explain that he was done with his errand for the day until he met the guest cover in blood by the river. Mikage-sama told me that he has try to kill himself to be with his human lover as he has try to become human to be with her. A sad story for it does remind me one story... 'A Nine Tale of Love'...

A story about a nine-tailed kitsune has fallen in love with an unknown person and has done nine journeys to help and search for his, or her lover. But in the end, the nine-tailed couldn't fulfill his, or her promise and has disappear for one thousand years, leaving the story to only become a sad ending. A story that many Gods, Yokais, and humans would always retell the tale as it also brings them to tears many times. However, no one knows if the lover is a god, human, or Yokai.

I gaze upon the kitsune to see he was cursed, meaning that he made a contract with a former god. "Did this kitsune made a contract with a former?" I ask him as the blonde god nods to reply. "Are you going to keep the baby... Since Tomoe is staying here, too..." Mikage-sama trails a bit as I gave him a courteous nod. "Hai, Mikage-sama. I wouldn't want a baby to be raised or killed by the outside world, yet. Also, if the kitsune is staying by your order, I will respect your decision for I'm just your Familiar." I stated in understanding as he sigh in relief.

"That's a relief. I'm glad you respect my decision, Yoko." He stated as I gave him a reassuring smile. I notice the kitsune name 'Tomoe' was looking back to look at Mikage-sama, the baby, and I. "Besides that Yoko, what are you going to name the child?" Mikage-sama ask me with his honeyed brown orbs glimmer with curiosity. Once again, I look at the baby Yokai cooing and giggling at us, leaving my Lord and Master gushes to the baby.

"Tsukine Tsuki-hoshi. She'll be my adopted daughter." I stated as I notice the baby was a girl. "Moon star, huh? What a nice name for this beautiful baby to be raise by one of the best Familiars." He said as the both of us were smiling. "I'll be taking my leave now, Mikage-sama. I'm certain you have something to discuss with Tomoe-kun. I need to feed her soon." I said while he nods that I caught on what his intention was from the start. Well, I have been his Familiar since birth, so understanding and catching him thinking what he wants to say is very easy for me.

I begin to take Tsuki-hoshi to the kitchen to feed her for I have a feeling that she has not eaten anything. I made her some baby food to feed her, which she happily ate her food full of giggles. I smile at the thought of me being a mother as I called in the two spirits to watch her for I have to make Mikage-sama's dinner. I begin to make dinner as I keep glancing once in a while to make sure nothing happen to the three.

As everything was prepare, I begin to take the tray to the room while giving a knock to allow entrance to the room. "You may enter the room, Yoko." He responds as I enter the room to see the wild kitsune has no black markings on him. The two looks at me while I was setting the tray in front of my Lord and Master. Then I look to back to see Onikiri and Kotetsu at the door with Tsuki-hoshi in their arms.

All of a sudden, the baby Yokai got out of the two shrine spirits' grasps and tries to crawl her way over to me with a smile on her face. I felt my heart warming up as a smile grace upon my face. I had my hands out to let her know that I'll be picking her up when she gets to me. "You are becoming more of a mother, Yoko." Mikage-sama stated as I grace him with a small smile. "I sure am, if I'm raising her." I reply while Tomoe was only watching this scene.

Until Tsuki-hoshi collapse and starts to fuss that she can't make her way to me. I smile as I spoke to her. "Come on, Tsuki-hoshi. You can do it. You're almost there." I encourage her as she still fuss, but keeps trying to crawl to me. The spirits, Mikage-sama, and Tomoe watching as the baby girl finally crawls to my arms. I scoop her up to give her a kiss on the nose. "You finally did it, Tsuki-hoshi, mama is proud of you." I sweetly spoke to her as she finally stop fussing.

I sat down between the two men as her cute, big, doey blue eyes looking at Mikage-sama. He was eating his meal while laughing a bit from Tsuki-hoshi's curious look. "Hahaha, is there something that you need little one?" He ask her as she spoke gibberish to him. Causing the two of us to laugh at her attempt to talk to us. I reply back to her gibberish as she giggles.

"Besides, my Lord and Master, is there something that you like to announce to the rest of us?" I ask him as he gave me a smile. It seems like I nailed it. "I would like to announce that Tomoe will become my second Familiar. Welcome him with open arms." He said as the two spirits and I gave him a nod. After he was done eating, I set my little baby on the floor as I went to pick up the tray.

After I came back, I saw Mikage-sama holding her while the silver-haired kitsune was looking at the two laughing for a bit until Tsuki-hoshi starts to cry. Surprising the two of them as her hands are reaching out for me. I walk over to where my master was sitting as I took her away from him. Then my little baby hugs me while I was wiping her tears away. "Now, then. Yoko, do you mind introducing yourself to Tomoe so he gets to know his Senpai." He stated as I gave him a nod to respond.

I set Tsuki-hoshi besides me as I gave him a bow. "Hello, Tomoe-kun. I am Yoko, a nine-tailed kitsune. It's a pleasure to meet you, too. I hope we work along side together." I stated as I felt a tug on my sleeves to see the fox Yokai wanting to be pick up by me. I smile to her as I set her down on my lap. "And this is my adopted daughter, Tsuki-hoshi." I introduce her to Tomoe as she was reaching for my tails. I twirl it around for her to giggle and try to catch it with glee.

Then she starts to fuss as she wants Mikage-sama. Then he took her away from me while something tells me that she'll be switching back and forth on Mikage-sama and I. Then she giggles as he was holding her in his arms while clapping her hands. Both of us were only smiling as Mikage-sama spoke, "Yoko, how about you show and teach Tomoe how to do the job of a Familiar." He order me as I nod while the two of us got up from our seats.

"Alright, Tomoe-kun, follow me. I got chores and duty to perform." I stated as he follows me while doing the daily chores. I show him how to do it properly and told him to take his time with the chores. He simply nods to everything as I can tell he doesn't seem to like the idea to talk to me. Not that I care, but I was willing to give him space and time to open up. I knew the whole story as Mikage-sama has told me about it. This upcoming year will only get interesting as I look back to see my Lord and Master with my daughter in his arm to watch us perform out Familiars' duties.