MISS WASHINGTON ( Benjamin Tallmadge )

REQUESTED BY Antoinette_327 A Washington's Niece X Ben Tallmadge imagine

A Washington's Niece X Ben Tallmadge imagine. I hope you enjoy it!!

       The mansion on the hill shone like a lighthouse.

Twenty windows stretched across the riverfront of Fantine Hall, each one ablaze from dozens of oil lamps and candlesticks. Shadows flitted behind the curtains as the household prepared for the party thrown in honor of General George Washington — servants busily rearranging the furniture to make room for dancing as well as laying out trays of preserves, candied nuts and cured meats. Inside the second-floor ballroom, hired musicians set up their insturments, ears tuned to their strings. Upstairs in their private quarters, family members stood before their mirrors putting the final touches on their evening costumes.

At least Y/N hoped it was just the household getting ready, her mother would most definitely scold her mercilessly if she were to walk into the house after her uncle —the General — and the rest of the guests were already there.

"Has anyone arrived yet?" she asked the house-maid standing in front of the entrance with a basket in her hands. "No miss. Although, you should go in through the back entrance. With any luck, your mother won't see you come in." Y/N nodded and thanked the woman before making her way into the mansion through the back entrance.

She dashed upstairs and ducked into her room, which was the only dark one in the house. Y/N collapsed in the middle of her four-poster bed. "I made it!"

No longer than ten seconds later, two girls who seemed to be about Y/N's age - a year younger at most - ran into her room.

"For heaven's sake Y/N, where were you?"

"We were worried sick!"

"We're both ready and you look as if you had just come back from a run in the countryside!"

"You're lucky mama was too busy to notice your absence, or else she would've murdered you in cold blood!"

"The officers will be here any minute, you must get ready, we don't have much time!"

"Lou, Kitty, would you please calm down? I'm here now, aren't I?" Only then did Y/N notice the gown hanging on a dress form in a corner of her room. She caught her breath. The gown was undeniably gorgeous, but there was a problem.

"But I told mama I didn't want a fancy gown. It's unseemly for civilians to be dressed in fancy clothing when our soldiers are fighting for our freedom in rags!" Louisa sighed and Catherine shrugged.
"It's here now, and you didn't ask her to have it made."
"It's not like the soldiers can wear it to battle."

Y/N slid across the bed, out of her sisters' reach. Catherine bit back a smile, which Y/N wouldn't have seen, because her eyes were still glued to the gown. "Don't put it on for mama then. Put it on for Major Tallmadge, or Colonel Hamilton," she teased. Her sisters had been spending too much time talking about the successful officers who had gained their Uncle George's trust and respect lately and they were very eager to meet the famous men.