Scroll Four • The Creation

Chapter Four

A sound echoed throughout the darkness as I strained my ears to hear it; my eyes widened once I realized it was a knock coming from Kakashi’s guest bedroom. Within an instant, I was on my feet as I stepped over the ledge of the rooftop; my fingers grasped the ledge and I swung back and forth before jumping through my open window. I landed soundlessly on the hardware floor of my new bedroom; Kakashi opened the door as I regained my composure, a weak smile curled on my lips. He eyed me for a second before stepping inside and taking a seat on my bed; I lingered on my spot before I followed his lead and took a seat beside him. “I hope Sakura didn’t intimidate you earlier today. She usually doesn’t behave like that… I think she just needs time to get accustomed to you being on Team Seven. However, we have a training session tomorrow at dawn and I’m hoping to see you there bright and early. Sweet dreams, Ren.” Kakashi flashed me a smile from beneath his mask before getting up to leave; the door closed behind him with a low snap and I released the breath I had been holding in. My heart was beating against my ribcage as I fell back against the bed; that had been too close. ‘What would Kakashi have said if he caught me jumping through the window?’ I pushed the thought away; I was becoming reckless and I could have blown my entire cover.

I closed my eyes, allowing myself to be consumed by my dreams and my own nightmares. A presence suddenly appeared on the windowsill, their gaze unnerved as it lingered over my form. The figure slowly stepped into my bedroom and I remained still as their soft footsteps grew closer towards my form. My body stiffened as the figure took a seat beside me; my heart was racing and a bit of fear ran through my veins. I was frightened as I remained frozen; why would someone be in my room? ‘Did someone know about my intentions? Was this the person who was going to kill me before I could destroy Konohagakure?’ If this was going to be my last breath, I wanted to look upon the face of my assassin. My eyes fluttered open and my breath was caught in the back of my throat as I gazed up at a pair of onyx eyes. My lips began to tremble as I tried forming words. “Sasuke… what are you doing here? I never would have thought that breaking and entering would be your style.” My words were completely serious with a hint of sarcasm clinging to its tone as I stared deeply into the Uchiha’s gaze, looking past the empty and hollow void that filled him, and finding a humorous glint within his stare. Sasuke’s presence had taken me entirely by surprise, but my heart rate slowly returned back to normal after accelerating at the mere thought of having been caught. If my cover had been blown, I was good as dead. If Konohagakure shinobi were unable to kill me for espionage and disguising myself to infiltrate the Hidden Leaf, my father surely would for being a disgrace to the Akiyama clan.

Sasuke Uchiha loomed over my form, a smirk pulling at his lips as he noticed the redness that began crawling up my neck and towards my cheeks. My heated face only deepened as Sasuke’s face grew closer towards mine. ‘What the hell was this kid doing?’ I narrowed my emerald gaze as his smirk only widened; I was embarrassed and did the only thing that popped into my mind at the time. Immediately, I pushed myself into a sitting position and using all the strength that I could muster at a moment’s call, I launched Sasuke from my bed by slamming my open palms into his chest. I was able to catch the Uchiha off guard as he fell off my bed, landing on his back with a rather loud boom. His onyx gaze hardened and narrowed on my face as I tried my best to keep myself from succumbing to laughter; my stomach was beginning to churn from forcing my amusement back. I was hunched over my bed, my arms wrapped around my torso as I attempted to hold in my laughter. Lifting my gaze to stare at Sasuke’s fallen form, the smile quickly disappeared as my body stiffened. His gaze immediately grew concerned as he stared at me from the floor, slowly pushing himself into a sitting position. Sasuke opened his mouth to say something, but I quickly held up a hand to silence him—his narrowed gaze was enough to tell me that he didn’t appreciate the gesture. “Keep your mouth shut, get under my bed, and shield your chakra as best as you can.”